History of Cook County on Google Books

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Gotta love those free downloads! There are some books I would like to get as ebooks that are on google books... I would be interested in getting a e-library card :) Maybe even pay some monthly fee to be able to look at as many books as I want. Anyhoo... someday I'll figure it out.

Thanks Dan!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get home from work tonight.
Mike

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
"Spaulding was a little station about thirty-two miles from Chicago, and Hammond was another little hamlet farther on. Ontario- ville was a small village in Hanover township."

Spaulding is the RR crossroads on Spaulding Road just SE of Elgin, new a couple folks who lived in the remaining old homes there some years back. Hammond is actually the SE corner of Elgin, south ofHammond Ave. Several of the old homes there have been taken down in the last few years. Used to pull bottles from the creek there as a kid and trade them for goods at the shoe-shine shop.

Key to reading this is to find any specific info on cabin locations (township sections they were in) and noting that against current landlines, where they remain relatively undeveloped and huntable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread