History Revealed!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I eagerly wait for the weather to warm up, I've been compiling a list of contacts to try and gain permissions to MD various public places and some privately owned properties that have been inhabited since the early 1800's. This will be my first attempt to do so, being that I am extremely new to the hobby. To help with networking and exposure to the positive sides of the hobby, I had a thought to create a website and facebook page. That way, anyone who might be hesitant to give permission over the phone could look up the information and ease their mind.

I haven't had much experience doing these types of things, and I was hoping some of you veterans could take a look at it and give me some feedback.

Thanks!

historyrevealed.tk

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As I eagerly wait for the weather to warm up, I've been compiling a list of contacts to try and gain permissions to MD various public places and some privately owned properties that have been inhabited since the early 1800's. This will be my first attempt to do so, being that I am extremely new to the hobby. To help with networking and exposure to the positive sides of the hobby, I had a thought to create a website and facebook page. That way, anyone who might be hesitant to give permission over the phone could look up the information and ease their mind.

I haven't had much experience doing these types of things, and I was hoping some of you veterans could take a look at it and give me some feedback.

Thanks!

historyrevealed.tk

Silver Simon, great on the website idea to gain access to private property (for if someone had questions, you could refer them to your website, etc...).

But when it comes to public property, here's the way: Go look up in that city or county (or whatever entities) codes, rules, laws, etc.... for yourself. If there is nothing there that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it must not be prohibited. Still though, even though something may not be specifically prohibited, does not mean that you can therefore go waltzing over people's beach blankets, being a nuisance, sticking out like a sore thumb, leaving holes, etc.. I mean, a little discretion is still in order. Don't chance it on obvious historic sensitive monuments, etc... But for the regular run-of-mill forests, parks, beaches, etc... if there's no rules saying "no metal detectors", then presto, there's your answer.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Simon, great on the website idea to gain access to private property (for if someone had questions, you could refer them to your website, etc...).

But when it comes to public property, here's the way: Go look up in that city or county (or whatever entities) codes, rules, laws, etc.... for yourself. If there is nothing there that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it must not be prohibited. Still though, even though something may not be specifically prohibited, does not mean that you can therefore go waltzing over people's beach blankets, being a nuisance, sticking out like a sore thumb, leaving holes, etc.. I mean, a little discretion is still in order. Don't chance it on obvious historic sensitive monuments, etc... But for the regular run-of-mill forests, parks, beaches, etc... if there's no rules saying "no metal detectors", then presto, there's your answer.

Good to know, thanks Tom! I checked the local parks/rec website as well as the city government website, and there is no reference to metal detecting anywhere. If it is not posted anywhere in the park, and its not on the websites, then it is safe to assume it is allowed? I guess the worst case scenario is that I'm asked to stop/leave...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good to know, thanks Tom! I checked the local parks/rec website as well as the city government website, and there is no reference to metal detecting anywhere. If it is not posted anywhere in the park, and its not on the websites, then it is safe to assume it is allowed? I guess the worst case scenario is that I'm asked to stop/leave...

If it is "silent on the subject", well ..... then it is "silent on the subject". When you checked the parks/rec website, was there indeed a listing of the parks rules? And when you checked the city/govt. website, did it indeed have the muni-codes and so forth listed? (because admittedly some cities have cryptic non-detailed sites, that simply don't have muni codes/laws .... to begin with). But assuming the answer to both those questions was "yes" (that they did have the muni codes, park rules, etc...), and assuming, as you say, there was nothing that said "no metal detectors", then I would say you've done your due diligence, yes you would assume it's allowed (by virtue of not being prohibited).

However, sure, you can never gaurantee that everyone will love you and embrace you with open arms. I mean, sure, anyone can gripe about anything, at any time. I even had a lady tell me my detector was bothering her dog once! (I think she thought it emitted some sounds or frequencies that only dogs hear? I dunno). Thus you still ...... even with lack of prohibition, think that means you can waltz about nilly willy wearing neon orange and carrying a shovel. Pick low traffic times, etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread