history yields find

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
This was a great find because of the history and story behind it vs. the value of what was found, which was a musket ball. About 10 years ago I did some research on the movement of British troops during the Rev. War in the Danbury, CT area. I came across a local history book talking about the British marching up a particular road to an intersection where a home (which is still there) faces the road and how a young girl yelled out the top floor window "go home" etc., enough that someone fired at her (not sure if they were actually trying to hit her, but they didn't according to the story). So a buddy and I get permission from the home owner to check the property. I had a very old White's detector at the time plus I didn't know what I was doing. The guy I was with was an expert with proper equipment. He had two great finds that day. Directly under the upstairs window facing the road as described in the book, he found a musket ball. We theorized it could have been one shot at the girl, but perhaps not, but interesting to ponder. He also found what I recall was a penny from the late 1700s below the lawn in front of the house.

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story Bergie! I'm only 10 minutes from Danbury, i'd like to see that house.

cpt_kirstov

Greenie
Sep 29, 2004
Quinebaug, CT
cool story - I go to school @ Sacred heart in Fairfeild, tempted to bring my detector down next weekend for a few weekends to try my luck before the snows come

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread