history

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then again, 100 years ago, a penny could buy you a lot. So much you could buy with a trade dollar!

OP
OP
AGBlex

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true but i just think its funny... Like getting rolls of gold 10 dollar coins... bein a rich fellow for sure. and just looking for errors and sending the rest back

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I know many people have "bucket lists" of things to do before they die. I actually have a "time machine" list of things to look for if I could go back in time. Michael Jordan rookie card would be at the top but then how about taking a few hundred in cash back to the 1800s and stocking up on gold coins? Imagine the possibilities. :wink:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Goldmanford said:
I know many people have "bucket lists" of things to do before they die. I actually have a "time machine" list of things to look for if I could go back in time. Michael Jordan rookie card would be at the top but then how about taking a few hundred in cash back to the 1800s and stocking up on gold coins? Imagine the possibilities. :wink:

Ty Cobb, Honace Wagner, Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Shoeless Joe, Walter Johnson, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, etc.. rookie cards would also make my list. So would Action Comics #1 (First Superman), X-Men #1, Spiderman #1, Batman #1, and a few others. Maybe a .50 Cal sleeping pill of Hitler and a few other bad guys might be in order. Some shares in Apple and Microsoft in the 80's. So many great deals in hindsight!

db23

Mar 18, 2011
Goldmanford said:
I know many people have "bucket lists" of things to do before they die. I actually have a "time machine" list of things to look for if I could go back in time. Michael Jordan rookie card would be at the top but then how about taking a few hundred MILLION in cash back to the 1800s and stocking up on gold coins? Imagine the possibilities. :wink:
I fixed it for ya... I mean if we're thinking big, ya may as well go for broke. The bankers from the 1800s may look at you a little wierd when you come in with all this strange currency dated 100 years in the future and not made of the same high quality materials they're used to.

OP
OP
AGBlex

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'd join the mint in 1913:) grab one of those V nickels;)

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
There have always been collectors, but CRH was hardly on the radar in America before 1965.

That was the year our government decided that Americans should not have possession of real money.

But then, in 1965, the minimum wage was $1.25. Kinda hard to order a $500.00 box of halves when your whole MONTH'S wage was $200.00.

I was 9 year's old in 1965, and if I had done any CRH'ing then, I sure wouldn't have been able to stack my finds until now!

So, to my way of thinking, these are the best of times.

Keep on Rollin' !

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Goldmanford said:

Your hundreds in cash would be considered counterfeit in those days..

OP
OP
AGBlex

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still ... i'd love some rolls of seated quarters haha

Silver Bear

Sep 14, 2011
Of course you have to remember a 100 years ago the hourly wage was between .22 to .25 cents.

HH...All the BEST from the "DEN!"...Silver "Bear"

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often just think, while I'm searching nickels, "what if this were a halve box?". Anyone who searches nickels knows how much of a nuisance the 1964 nickel can be. If only the dates from a nickel box could apply to a halve box. hooo boy!

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
AGBlex said:
coin roll hunters from 100 years ago musta been pullin out seated liberty's... flying eagles and trade dollars...

not so fun anymore hahah
I could just picture a complaint of that time " Damm it I just got a box of solid 1911 mint Barber dimes.Now I gotta go dump this junk "

OP
OP
AGBlex

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahahha santafeboy! so funny dude i love it

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I live long enough for great-grandkids to ask me if I really remember getting a draft beer for $6, a pretty okay MLB seat for $75, a house for under $300,000-$400,000...and finding a few sparkling-new 2010 shield-back pennies in just about every pocketful of change. I hope I'll tell them that in fact I did, and somehow did not feel the need to pinch myself or giggle like an insane man while doing so (though I'll probably lie). I bet they'll look at me with a little bit of pity, like I spent my youth as some semi-ignorant malcontent in a long-ago utopia where people could still find 1964 Jefferson nickels in circulation but were either too short-sighted or too busy dealing with the quaint day-to-day issues of their lives to realize that they should have been saving them by the dumpster-full. Hopefully when I tell them I could, say, see a Tim Allen movie for $12 plus another $10 or $15 for snacks--coming attractions including/u]--maybe they'll understand that I just had too many good uses lined up for my pocket change than to save it all for their shock and awe in the 2070s.

OP
OP
AGBlex

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
currency wont even be around then with the way things are going

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
brendan1414 said:
Goldmanford said:

Your hundreds in cash would be considered counterfeit in those days..

You could buy some 1934 FED notes off of Ebay. A $100 bill goes for around $140 and then go into the time machines to the 30's and be a rich man. That or swap those notes for coins and come back to our time.

Those 1934 FED notes are not uncommon. Seen a bunch at banks of late. Yet the tellers only show them to me and keep for themselves. They keep them and get all excited over it but don't realize that coins from that era face value would blow that bill away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread