hit a rock pile at the ATV trails

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Had a training class all last week so I took tiday off and hit my trails. Had no luck except for some cruddy iron. Went up one of the paths that I usually go up and wanted to investigate this pile of rocks that I could not get to easily with all the vegetation. Since Fall is here I was able to get into this pile.
I swung the coil over the pile and got a good signal so I did what all of us would do in this situation....I started digging!
The first piece that came out of this pile was and still is a mystery to me. It is some sort of bracket or buckle that has a picture of an owl on the front. I was happy with this strange find but since this was a big pile of rocks I wanted to investigate it further.

I probed with the pinpointer and was getting targets so I kept moving rocks. I started coming across pottery shards with a nice blue pattern, possibly an Oriental design on it. I also noticed other strange non-metallic items coming out of this pile.....pieces of shoes or shoe leather. I have three soles, I think they were soles stuck togetther. ALso kept pulling sides of shoe leather with the eyelets already in them. I'm not sure if the owner of the homestead here was a cobbler or possibly an ancestor of Imelda Marcos lived here. (kudos to all who get my joke!)
Anyway besides the many shoe pieces and pottery, I was able to come up with two salt or pepper shaker tops, two harmonica reeds, which were stuck together also so possibly the whole harmonica was there and disintegrated, a couple of spoons, and one complete shoe horn and one broken.

Well no coins today but had a great time beating myself up moving all those rocks and I think I made out pretty good with the relics I came home with.
Anyone a shoe expert that could possibly take a try at dating those shoe pieces? I know it is a hard request but possibly someone else has come across shoe leather at other sites. Will also post the owl thing in "what is it" section to see if anyone can ID that. Take a stab at it here also.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the pics and to read the post.

Funkman

Attachments

• P1010103.JPG
    P1010103.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 644
  • P1010104.JPG
    P1010104.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 647
  • P1010105.JPG
    P1010105.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 632
  • P1010106.JPG
    P1010106.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 634
  • P1010108.JPG
    P1010108.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 623
  • P1010109.JPG
    P1010109.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 616
  • P1010111.JPG
    P1010111.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 613
  • P1010112.JPG
    P1010112.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds there Funkman
The Owl thingy reminds me of a collar bar or collar pin. Holds the collar down over a tie or whatever. Not quite sure, but it looks pretty cool to say the least.
HH :)

EARTHWORKS

Apr 30, 2005
Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
Wow: Love that owl thing! Looks like there should be a bar that should go across into each hole left and right.
Maybe the front door knocker? That would be cool. Try cleaning that up it still looks like its in great shape.
If you want, I can always meet you sometime being that I work a lot in Middletown and try cleaning that piece myself. I'll make that look brand new.
Earthworks...

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds! That owl is great! 8)

If you are trying to date the relics from the site, you might try looking on the back side of the spoons and looking up the the makers mark. ? I don't have a clue on the leather pieces you found though.

Congrats on your finds! Nana :)

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Cool finds, I like that owl.

TORPEDOX

Aug 23, 2007
Payette Id.
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT
Great finds! the owl does look as though it's a door knocker. the tops of the "salt and Pepper" shakers are actually the tops of old foot powder, or talcolm powder cans. my grandmother had a cupboard full of that stuff. Grandpa's feet must have stank somthing awfull! ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the salty and pepper tops are talc/baby powder lids

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks for the replies all. I did not think about those lids being off anything but salt and pepper shakers but you all have gave me something new to think of when I am searching. It makes sense with the shoe items that that is what they should be.

Trying to clean the shoe peices up a bit but the leather is so brittle and they dry in the folded shape that they were found. Will try soaking a couple of pieces and then pressing them like leafs to see if they can mantain a flat shape. One of them is definately from a childs shoe. I can even make out the stitch holes. Wonder if they were whole when put in the ground. I imagine they would have been since the stitching holes that would have attached them to the sole.

Thanks again

Funkman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread