Gobyman

Jul 21, 2009
SW, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Excal with 15" WOT
Hey All,
I'm just a noobie that got lucky through perserverence and good old luck,
Here's some background history on me:
Started MD'ing middle of last month, bought a used Viper for $200 and just started hitting all 4 beaches here in SW florida for 2 weeks straight, found about $10 in clad ($5 of it was in one day all in quarters in a 2 meter area) and some costume jewelry, but no luck on finding anything worth posting. So I decided to sell an 18K mens bracelet @ 39 grams I had (paid $300 back in 2000 for it ,when I was deployed in the sand box) and was able to get $780 as scrap for it. So then I was on the hunt for a used minelab excaliber ( did alot of research on these on-line, and they seem to be the best for beach MD'ing). So my first streak of luck was finding an Excaliber 1000 (2005 model) for $725 from a guy up in Orlando this last Tuesday. It came with the straight shaft upgrade with stainless steel arm wrap, extra alkaline battery pod and a coil cover. It definitely showed some use and the guy said the rechargeble pod was the original, so he wasn't sure how much time it would hold. Well on wed I let the batteries charge overnight and used the alkaline pod to due some practice in my backyard using clad and some gold and silver rings to try and get use to the different tones. So today thursday on my first outing to try my new (used) Excaliber heres what I found after 3 hours of MD'ing at one beach (2 hours chest high wading, 1 hr surfs edge) the ring was found at the surfs edge at approx 15 inches wet sand (took me 5 full scoops to get to it). Hope you like it (sorry for the pics, still getting used to my "macro" lenses for my camera) :hello2:

Attachments

• DSC01238.jpg
    DSC01238.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • DSC01241.jpg
    DSC01241.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,061
  • DSC01242.jpg
    DSC01242.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,056
  • DSC01244.jpg
    DSC01244.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC01245.jpg
    DSC01245.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC01248.jpg
    DSC01248.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,040
  • DSC01249.jpg
    DSC01249.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,026
  • DSC01254.jpg
    DSC01254.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,033
  • DSC01257.jpg
    DSC01257.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,018
Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So am I reading the markings right? Is that 14k with platinum settings? That ring is awesome congrats.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice way to start there "newbie"........ :headbang:

Welcome to Tnet........Happy Hunting.................... :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
if the diamonds are real i belive you just got your money back almost double woooohoooo wtg good job.

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
WOWWWWWWWWWW! Haven't you taken that to a (trusted) jeweler yet? You are looking at about a 5-6 thousand dollar appraisal on that ring!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW WOW WOW - Awesome find for sure, go get that bad boy appraised!!!!!!!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is a beauty. Looks like your Excalibur has pay for itself.....Matt

OP
OP
Gobyman

Gobyman

Jul 21, 2009
SW, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Excal with 15" WOT
Thanks guys for the comments,

I'm pretty stoked on finding my first ring, especially after only starting in the hobby a month ago. Funny thing is when I found it (last 30 min out of the 3 hrs total) I was about 5 ft from 2 couples sitting in beach chairs at the water edge, I only saw the gold band and thought it was a gold wedding band, but I wanted to let out a scream just for that, but my 21yrs of military training (USAF) kicked in and I kept my composure and kept quiet till I got about 50 ft down farther along shore where there was no other people around and was able to take it out to get a closer look and that's when I realized it also had diamonds too :o . Also if you noticed in the pic's it also has a fourth diamond (small) on the inside of the band, it's part of the letters i guess, thought that was kinda unusual, but hey I'm not complaining. So I'm going down to Ft Myers to see my brother-in-law who is a jeweler to get it appraised (hoping the diamonds are real ;D) I'll post an update on what I find out. I must admit I was a little skeptical about all the hype over Minelab's Excaliber's, but now you can count me as a true believer :notworthy:

Thanks again for all the great comments :wink:
Gobyman

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent!

HH

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to T-net and congratulations on the ring! I am sure those are real diamonds. They would not go to the expense of putting CZ's in a platinum setting. It would be a waste. WTG!

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ring! :icon_thumright: That's a Leo Schachter ring and (If you are so inclined :wink:) you can probably find the owner rather easily. The diamonds all have their own ID number engraved into the stone.

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to Tnet.......

I second all the other comments..WTG .. you definitely have a keeper there..I know how it was when I found my first gold and diamond ring...HAPPY DANCE all the way home and then some !!! No doubt the stones are real being in a platinum setting...We all wanna hear the results when you find out so let us all know.

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
well that is a sweet find no doubt....the excal has served me well for 5 years, but not as well as it has served you.....that is a nice ring and i am green with envy... nope it's seaweed.. i'm green with seaweed....hee hee hee ! hope you find many more....hh

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
O.K. being a girl who loves jewelry I remember all the Leo diamond adds on the t.v. from a couple years ago. I think that says MY LEO with the diamond being the o. That was a very pricey ring!! I tried on a past present future Leo diamond ring at a jewelry strore and it was around 14,000 dollars for a 2 carat. WTG, I'm so happy for you!!!

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+
Hell yeah that is a great find... post the appriasial when you get that puppy checked out..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread