Hitting brick walls

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Well everybody,I am really bummed out.The weather has been really bad here-still snow on the ground.So for the last week or so I've been chasing down the owners of some property that I would love to hunt on.Finally find out who they are and talk to them.I'm being polite and try to get them into a conversation.After asking permission to md,these people act like I'm trying to steal from them.The last guy was just down right rude.I was nice and said thank you and left.I don't know-I just wasn't brought up that way-to be rude to other people.I know people aren't as trusting as they used to be and I understand why.Maybe I just caught this guy having a bad day.Weather is suppose to be better next week.I'll get out to some of the old spots and get muddy and try to find something.That'll put me back in a good mood.You all take care.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that.

Just Realize you are still alive.
No matter what he said, It Didn't Cause you th Shrivel up,
or stoop to his Level.

There could have been Several reasons,
Including that he is tired of People asking,
or Tired of Throwing People off. Although,
I would Think he would have said so if that were the case.

Anyway, Just Remember there are 999,999,999,999,999,999,
More Properties to go ;)

S

stefen

You might consider sending the gentleman a short and concise letter thanking him. Tou might find that he may reconsider his position. Possibly letter as follows:

Dear Mr. XYZ,

Thank you for taking your valuable time for considering my request to explore your property for old coins and relics with my metal detector.

As explained, as a matter of respect and consideration, I will only dig in the upper 6 inches with a screwdriver or probe, and will fill all holes.

Again, thank you, and if you should change your mind, please call me at 000-000-0000.

Respectfully,

DigMO

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
D MO,

going to get a lot more no answers; life goes
on. Don't hurt you none.

Don't ask and you never know.

Good ones will come, just keep asking.

have a good un........

OP
OP
DigMO

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Thanks everybody,I really appreciate your support.I know you guys have probably been in the same situation too.It's just really frustrating to put so much effort into finding someone and then they are just rude.Well,again thanks.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting permission can be tough. I've been detecting for over 22 years. No two property owners are the same. What I've discovered when trying to get permission is to try and get the home owner while they are doing yard work, this approach is more casual than knocking on the door. A strang guy in a doorway can sometime be a little intimidating to a property owner. Catch them in their yard....

T

TreasureTales

It is a little awkward to have a face-to-face with folks when we don't know them and they don't know us. If I can, I'll write a note and include a self-addressed stamped envelope and ask that they tell me which days are OK to hunt their property. I like giving them the feeling of control over something!!!

There was a fellow I used to work with...years ago...and he had been a Fuller Brush Salesman in his youth. He told me that he expected to be turned down 9 out of 10 times. He said he knew he had to get rejected 9 times before he could expect a sale, so he knocked on doors without regard to the answers he got because he knew that he just needed to play the odds and he'd make a sale. Well, you made your first attempt and maybe you'll need to make 8 more before somebody says "yes," but that's OK because sooner or later you'll get your positive response. As far as his attitude, don't take it personally, we never know what is happening in some stranger's life and it usally has nothing to do with us...we're just there at the wrong time. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread