Hitting the fairgrounds

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
My son and I went to a local fairgrounds yesterday to get some experience with his new Xterra 705.

I was using the MXT, (should have used the XLT, I realized later) and started finding surface coins.

Found a nickel, then 2, 3, 4, like someone had a nickel fight.

Then we moved to another area, and started finding foreign coins.

One from Germany, one from Mexico, Netherlands, England, even an 1882 large penny. 6 foreign coins in all.

We were out there for an hour and found 11 nickels, 3 dimes a few pennies and 6 foreign coins.

Very strange, but made for a memorable day.

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
i love hitting fairgrounds cause you never know what you will find! good hunt!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's wrong with the MXT? That should be just as good if not better than the XLT....

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Cuda, I find that the XLT excels when I want to scan a large field quickly. I can whip the coil back and forth way quicker than the MXT while remaining stable.

It gets better depth the faster you swing it as well.

Of course, I also have several years experience with the XLT, and just got the MXT a few months ago...

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's wrong with the MXT? That should be just as good if not better than the XLT....

When hunting fairgrounds deep coins aren't the main target, and excluding trash is important. With the XLT the accepted VDI's can be selected for just the coins and jewelry you are looking for, reducing the time spent digging things like pennies.

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
When hunting fairgrounds deep coins aren't the main target, and excluding trash is important. With the XLT the accepted VDI's can be selected for just the coins and jewelry you are looking for, reducing the time spent digging things like pennies.

That is very true, but I was just referring to swing speed. The XLT can cover ground like few other machines that I have used.

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never been to a fair ground, but sounds fun, glad you found some nice coins I really like finding different foreign coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread