Hiya CRHers!

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
Hiya CRH'ers!

I have been lurking for a few weeks now. You people are having too much fun! I thought I would join in, and see if I can't get tossed out on my ear.

I used to crh cents as a kid. It was great fun, but I got away from it. I have always been one to watch for unusual coins in change.

Only recently have I began hunting by the box. I have done one box of dimes (skunk) and two half dollar boxes(one skunk, one 40%'er).

The only reason I bucked up and went with boxes is that I bought the banks in our small town in the eastern part of Oregon out of half dollar rolls. In those rolls were 28 90%'ers and 18 40's.

I am scheming as to how to do 2 boxes of each per week on $500. I am going to begin tomorrow by driving to a nearby town to dump the 1000 half dollar coins and pick up 2 boxes of dimes. I will have to get thorough those and dump by Wednesday for the cash to pick up the first box of halfs the bank is ordering. I then have to search those and recycle by Friday to get the other box. The other town is about 40 miles one way. Around here it is not bad, just steer to the freeway, set the cruise control and away we go.

I decided to make my life easier by selling my finds, along with some junk Morgan dollars I got cheap 10 years ago for enough to be able to pick up the 2 boxes of halfs at once, and forgetting about the dimes until I find more to sell.

Or I could do 4 boxes of each per week...

Upvote 0

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
Re: Hiya CRH'ers!

Great bank score! Those 28 90%ers is about as many as I have gotten in the 5 months I have been CRHing. Welcome to the hobby.

OP
OP
Scott W

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011

Kind of a funny story about those 1964's. I stopped by the bank one day to get 10 rolls. I took them home and found 14 coins.

Naturally I went back the next day for more. The young gal went to the vault and brought out some rolls. Two of the rolls had a customer account number on them, and the head teller told her to re roll them.

When she dumped them on the counter there was a loud, very distinguishable 'plink' of silver. 14 more 1964's, and we found out who dumped them. The room went silent, and all eyes were on my transaction. The other tellers actually stopped what they were doing to gather around for a look. When she asked me if I wanted them re rolled I said, "No, I'll just take them loose", and began stuffing my pockets like a madman.

The next day I went back again, and was told "No more rolls!"

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Scott W said:
I am scheming as to how to do 2 boxes of each per week on $500. I am going to begin tomorrow by driving to a nearby town to dump the 1000 half dollar coins and pick up 2 boxes of dimes. I will have to get thorough those and dump by Wednesday for the cash to pick up the first box of halfs the bank is ordering. I then have to search those and recycle by Friday to get the other box. The other town is about 40 miles one way. Around here it is not bad, just steer to the freeway, set the cruise control and away we go.

I'm afraid that if you aren't careful, they will soon tire of your $1,000 worth of dumps per week.

I live in a small town, where lobby coin counters are rare, and I've been spreading my dumps at numerous banks, and spending tons of halves at retail, and I am starting to get the evil eye after just one box a week for 5 weeks straight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread