Hmmm what to do....

Goldbear

Apr 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Now I really like the idea of these back pack size plastic sluices. But with over 20 years working in the plastic thermoforming bussiness, I tell ya guys these prices are just laughable. Thinking of throwing my own design together just to make for my self and a couple friends to make at home. But to go thru the work of it for a half dozen is really borderline. But now if I knew I could sell say 20 of em right quick for $30 bucks and shipping.......

2 pieces about 22 inches long, 12" flare in to around 9", flare out, wing nut bolt together black plastic.... 3 inch over lap for strength....

Email me if interested..

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Goldbear, what part of Wis, you from?
If you dont mind me asking?

Hefty

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldBear,
Your are correct about the amount of plastic that is there and how long it takes to thermoform a sheet of ABS once the mold, temperature and air bag have been setup and the cost being charged for them is compared to the materials used and the time spent. So could you show us an example of one you can produce, same drop riffle design of course.

Regards, 63bkpkr

OP
OP
Goldbear

Goldbear

Apr 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Well recycled pe plastic is selling for .39 cents a pound right now. So that 4 pound sluice is worth about 1.60 in materials. The big cost in something like this is the tool style. My at home project would be a wood pattern that around 30 hits would end its life. Hard tooling in aluminum is what big $ needs to be recovered and the cost depends how many pcs it is recovered over. Only those companies really know how many they are selling. 5000 pcs would need about 2 bucks each recovered to cover the cost of the tool depending on finish part size on something like this. There are resin tools that last longer than wood but no where near aluminum. So, still we should be under 7$ for build cost with labor in a factory making probably 50 of these an hour in a 2 up mold. Double that for profit taking and somebody is making big bucks on these. We make pallets weighing 20 pounds selling for $ 20 and under some times. IF the numbers are there. Specialty pallets ordered at say 2000 pcs. Price shoots way up!
Now not wanting to infringe on someones riffle patent if there are any, but then again slight changes and its different. If I had dimensions of several well performing riffle designs and came in between, 1 degree different angle, .020 higher riffle, etc.
I haven't seen any out there with both a flare in and a flare out. Maybe not needed. I just though it would be a nice fit in my back pack with one sitting inside the other, quick bolt together and go go gold!
Well? Any takers? How bout posting some riffle dimensions, angles, plastic thickness, is it strong enuf for you? ABS is stiffer than PE but it cracks a lot easier. A little thicker PE and a return lip on the flange on the side adds stiffness. What ya say?

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Ah know the Dells area well, use to go deer hunting there just northwest of town by the fire tower.
Last time i was in that area, the hunting area was nothing but condos. What a waste of some beautiful hunting area. Now hunting gold in the motherload.

Hefty

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the fine gold we have in this state you could just have a smoothie with some ribbed rubber mat.
Or the fine ribs molded into the plastic at the lead in then a few bumps spaced with correct height.
A slight 3/8" dam at the end. Maybe a little miners moss (floor mat) at the end.

I would buy a prototype for $20.00. and do some free R&D
I had an idea to take the rifles out of my sluice and making an aluminum punch plate the whole length;
1/2" off the ribbed mat with a thousand 1/16" holes drilled and camphor ed the whole length.
Just shovel the material in and let the fines drop out. Over & Under.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
You might think of a sluice without any riffles, only a drop toward the top to allow for the carpet or vortex matting or whatever, and sell them plain and let everyony else put in what they want for fine gold recovery? Everybodys always changing the design anyway. It would give people a platform to work from without much investment. You could make some different sizes. Anyway, just a thought. Doug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread