HMS Lutine : 1799 Wreck

thepirate

Dec 20, 2006
Uk
Detector(s) used
Whatever some nice pirate will loan me!!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike, there is nothing left of the La Lutine. It has been salvaged 10 times already and the bulk of the treasure has been recovered. The exact spot of the wreck is well known. If not, then where did the 58 gold bars and 35 silver bars that the first salvors brought up come from? The last salvage company used a dredge and tore the wreck to pieces. Whats left has been moved by shifting sands and swift currents to who knows where.

OP
OP
T

thepirate

Dec 20, 2006
Uk
Detector(s) used
I agree with you on this Cornelius ... the records I've seen indicate only 86 gold bars recovered. I think the initial estimates on the manifest were inflated but believe that there is still substantial wealth there.
the Lutine has been ripped apart and the salvors probably thought they had cleared the site. I'm sure the gold and silver is just somewhere else..I've got a peek at some old charts so who knows?

Unfortunately unless I win the lottery , then I'm not in a position to look for it at the moment.
All the best , Mike.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cornelius said:
The story would be far from the interest of the average person on this forum . Cornelius

Would it be fair to say that 80% of the people in this forum live in U.S.
And would it be fair to say that 75% of the people in this forum do this as a hobby.

With this said, you may understand why 80% (or maybe more) of the people in this forum would not be interested in something that is on the other side of the world and cost allot of money to salvage....

My self for example: I live in Florida where I have my R/V vessel and subcontract from the Fishers in the 1715 site. Florida is State full or wrecks home to most of the living legends of Treasure Hunting, Mel Fisher, Bob Marx, Art Mckee, Bob Weller, Lou Ullian, and many more like Tom Guidus, Peter Smitt and my self ;D :D :D :D :D.....I have great friends here, that have offered great opportunities like Scott..aka..Seahunter. I grew up in P.R. and have travel most of the Carribean, D.R., Jamaica, Mexico, Honduras and the Bay Islands, Colombia, Argentina, St. Thomas, etc. Places where I have good strong contacts, places full of Spanish history and shipwrecks, places where I have more of a chance to get a permit or some kind of a deal...

With this said: why would I be interested on a shipwreck that is on the other side of the world where I dont know a single soul...
It would be wise to concentrate all my time, effort,search and research where I have a higher chance of succes...Dont you think?
Maybe once I achieve my goals here, I get more experience and have the $$$ needed I will start looking at at international sutff outside of the Carribean.......

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cornelius said:
So Chagy you want to say that you are not having wreckdiving ( in general ) as a hobby . You are making it clear to me that you are only interested in Florida . That is understandable ,but did it ever dawn on you that there may be other people interested in the subject of wreckdiving and treasure hunting ? It looks like you are not interested in the history but only in the stuff you can dig up . Well like I said that is understandable but it disappoints me a lot . But to make things clear this post was meant for somebody in the UK . He is a lot closer to the La Lutine than you and may find the information useable . This net is more international than you think and is the stronger for it . Cornelius

Ohhh No corny I think you got me all wrong....I never said I was only interested in the stuff I can dig up or that I was only interested in Florida......I said the Carribean which is full of Spanish history and shipwrecks.....
To me the most important part is to add a page to history with my finds, if I can get rewarded with treasure even better...
And it would be great to acomplish both at the same time.......

I am not only a researcher but also a searcher.....I have a few targets that I want to find, this takes lots of time, research and field serach....when you have a goal you have to stay focus on your goal and use every opportunity you get for the acomplishment of your goal....Why lose time right now on things that are out of reach right now for me.....

Anyways that is just me and I think this is a conversation to have over one or two beers....

Dont get me wrong Iknow this post was meant for some one in Uk and that the information maybe usable to him.
But You wrote: The story would be far from the interest of the average person on this forum . Cornelius
And I was trying to explain to you why....thats all

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SWR said:
Just a thought, but why not ask TreasureNet for a "Child Board" in the Shipwrecks sections for events pertaining to the 1715 Fleet and the East Coast of Florida? That would be the perfect place to post topics about shredded beer cans, local events (Expo 2008) and so on.

Being TreasureNet is a global forum; Shipwrecks Forum is the most logical place to post Shipwrecks from around the world.

I think someone already thought about that and they made a new forum "History Hunters International" or something like that but it seems that there is not enough people interested in the subject because there is not that many members.
maybe you should go check it out, it seems to me that a forum with that name might be off more interest to you...

based on the long threads were people like to read and post it seems to me that allot of people are interested in waht you call
shredded beer cans threads....

That is just my thought

I find international threads very interesting.....but I am not interested in that subject right now But that doesnt give a reason to think that they sould start a different "Child Board"....This is the shipwreck section and people can write whatever they want as long as its related to shipwrecks.......

Cheers!

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I never said it was a "childs board" of TNet

I find international threads very interesting.....but I am not interested in that subject right now But that doesnt give a reason to think that they sould start a different "Child Board"....This is the shipwreck section and people can write whatever they want as long as its related to shipwrecks.......

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SWR said:
I can’t really comprehend the rest of your post. The Shredded Beer Can thread only has 19 replies.

events pertaining to the 1715 Fleet and the East Coast of Florida? That would be the perfect place to post topics about shredded beer cans, local events (Expo 2008) and so on.

Well its a lovelly day here in Florida I think I will go down stairs to the beach take a swim and have a few Coronas....

OP
OP
T

thepirate

Dec 20, 2006
Uk
Detector(s) used
Hi Cornelius - those are two of the maps I was looking at and the gold most certainly has moved from there as shown from the 1980's searches.

Very difficult and dangerous area to dive given the currents and prevailing weather. Perhaps we'll see the sand banks uncovered again - who knows??

Sorry if I started a thread which has proved to be a tad contentious...I'm sure neither or Cornelius meant it to be!

Cheers , Mike.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
thepirate said:
Sorry if I started a thread which has proved to be a tad contentious...I'm sure neither or Cornelius meant it to be!

Cheers , Mike.

No need to be sorry..there is nothing wrong with this thread..Enjoy!!!!!

OP
OP
T

thepirate

Dec 20, 2006
Uk
Detector(s) used
Hi Grubstake - I think it was just a few remarks out of context. I'm sure we're all friends here. I know the Lutine is not local for a lot of people on the website but when you consider that a lot of the wrecks being dived in the US originated over here , then there's a shared knowledge base and interest.

For those of you not informed about the Lutine , some of the most promising salvage results were gained with a tin dredger/excavator. If were able to get a syndicate together to give something similar a try on your various 1715 sites , it could be interesting (but I've no idea about cost on that).

Regards , Mike.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chagy wrote "Florida is State full or wrecks home to most of the living legends of Treasure Hunting" ???

Should this be refraised as living legends of "American" Treasure Hunting.

Apart from the Atocha most finds over their are small compared to what has been found and recovered in the rest of the world.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
VOC said:
Should this be refraised as living legends of "American" Treasure Hunting.

Apart from the Atocha most finds over their are small compared to what has been found and recovered in the rest of the world.

I would have to agree with you here, VOC. You don't hear too many people here talking about Risdon Beazley, Ryoichi Sasakawa, Damant and others. Their stories are incredible. We're a sheltered lot over here. But you gotta admit part of the reason is the fabulous marketing done by the Fisher family who have successfully brought in more "treasure" in revenue beyond the actual gold and and silver left on the bottom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread