Hobo Signs

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I see at least seven that are that are similar to Spanish signs. However, I wouldn't expect many around here to want to acknowledge that idea. Wouldn't want to taint fantasy land now, would we? It's kind of like hiding under the covers from monsters. They can't get you if they can't see you. ;) Thanks for the codes.

Una Braza...

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
My mother told me that when she was a little girl some hobo's started showing up frequently at their farm. Her mother and her walked down the gravel road and found a pile of rocks that was pointing towards their farm. They got rid of the rocks and the hobo's stopped showing up. This would have been in the late 1930's. I think it would be pretty neat to find some of the old trails they used when they got off the trains and try to find some of their old markings.

HH Charlie

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blind.In.Texas said:
Thanks. I see at least seven that are that are similar to Spanish signs. However, I wouldn't expect many around here to want to acknowledge that idea. Wouldn't want to taint fantasy land now, would we? It's kind of like hiding under the covers from monsters. They can't get you if they can't see you. ;) Thanks for the codes.

Una Braza...

While some may be similar, I highly doubt that they would be found in the same places. Also a cross carved into a tree in 1935 will not look anything like a cross carved into a tree in 1735.

Thanks for the signs. This is something I had never heard of before.

Best-Mike

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
gollum said:
Blind.In.Texas said:

Una Braza...

While some may be similar, I highly doubt that they would be found in the same places. Also a cross carved into a tree in 1935 will not look anything like a cross carved into a tree in 1735.

Best-Mike

Good points from both of you. The symbols are interesting, and the time period is even more interesting to me. As you know, I suspect that a considerable number of carved 'Spanish treasure signs' were created/enhanced in the 1930's era. It all has to do with the Gold Confiscation Act of 1933.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
gollum said:
Blind.In.Texas said:

Una Braza...

Best-Mike

Good points from both of you. The symbols are interesting, and the time period is even more interesting to me. As you know, I suspect that a considerable number of carved 'Spanish treasure signs' were created/enhanced in the 1930's era. It all has to do with the Gold Confiscation Act of 1933.

MAN, those hobos must have vacationed in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado and hiked all over that beautiful country.

OP
OP
P.B. and Dylan

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
I frequently travel railroads in search of treasure. I always wanted to find an old hobo camp but didn't know what to look for.
These symbols may come in handy one day and who knows maybe I'll find a Spanish treasure in PA. instead!!! :laughing7:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Shortstack said:
....MAN, those hobos must have vacationed in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado and hiked all over that beautiful country.

Actually, you're correct. While most of the USA languished badly during the '30's, lots of men rode the rails to the West, where there were quite a few jobs available in the mines, the CCC camps, and even in the housing industry. 'Go West, young man', which was big in the 1800's was also big in the 1930's.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
The gold confiscation act..odd you should mention it as i've been thinking about it a lot lately. Would seem a likely candidate for the large scale things that seem to have gone on.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
desertmoons said:
The gold confiscation act..odd you should mention it as I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Would seem a likely candidate for the large scale things that seem to have gone on.

That could explain some of the supposed KGC stuff that doesn't seem THAT old. I wonder if anyone buried away large caches using the same techniques "of old". Since it was still illegal to own processed gold, the government had a perfect excuse in confiscating Doc Noss's gold bullion in Victorio Peak.

I can still laugh at the story KVM wrote in one of his THing manuals. The one about how an acquaintance left some "junk" in a tub in KVM's garage for a few days and when Karl found out it was filled with gold coins, he said he started visualizing federal agents parachuting into his yard. LMAO.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Shortstack said:
desertmoons said:
The gold confiscation act..odd you should mention it as I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Would seem a likely candidate for the large scale things that seem to have gone on.

That could explain some of the supposed KGC stuff that doesn't seem THAT old. I wonder if anyone buried away large caches using the same techniques "of old".....

Stack and Moonie, if you pursue that idea with a clear mind, you may likely abandon the childish treasure legends most believe in and seek the real truth behind them.

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
One of the truths that stands out in my mind is that there's 5000 Tons of Gold in Fort Knox. Seems interesting to me that it would take lots of folks to move that much. Anyone have any thoughts as to where it may have came from. Wonder about New Orleans mint, Philadelphia mint, Denver mint, San Franscio mint, what do they have in common. This makes my head hurt

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dsty:
Several years ago, I read a magazine article about a tunnel system that crisscrosses the U.S. and connects important installations such as military command bases, certain civilian government offices (including the repositories), and underground laboratories around the country. These tunnels were / are used by very high speed vehicles. Possibly mag-lift vehicles. This story was kinda laughed at as being put "out there" by UFO kooks and conspiracy theorists, when low and behold, the French Chunnell project popped up. Guess what those folks planned to do. Their plan was to use tunnel boring machines to dig the tunnel while installing the reinforced concrete tubing walls as it was progressing. On display were the photographs of tunnelling machines LIKE those that were to be used on the chunnell project. You will note that the technology was already proven and IN EXISTENCE BEFORE the French project. What we don't know for sure is HOW LONG the technology had been around and how extensive it had been used.
Now, what does this have to do with all that gold in the depositories?? Well, how better to move it around without being seen? When I was a truck driver in the early 1990s, I found that one company had the government contract to haul all of the coinage from the mint to different distribution terminals where armored cars would move them the last leg to the banks. But, the gold ingots are molded in sizes too large to comfortably move by hand and it wouldn't take many of them to put an 18 wheeler at gross weight. Then add the security requirements to moving large lots of gold bullion and those tunnels are looking more and more sensible.
I'm sure you've heard the stories of strange sounds coming from some mesa (Dulcy, NM for instance) and that one town with the low level, low frequency hum that no one can figure the source of. I've read the story of a man who was traveling across country and stopped for the night at a hotel in a small city. He didn't get decent rest that night for all the vibrations of the passing subway trains. When he mentioned it the next morning while checking out, the desk clerk told him that the city did not HAVE a subway.
One last point for now. The Carlsbad Caverns are still not FULLY explored I believe. That large system of natural tunnels would make an excellent "spur" to the tunnel system, if not a MAJOR line. After all, don't the caverns run on into Mexico?? I was doing a little research on a theory of mine concerning the Roswell Incident that included the use of Carlsbad Caverns when I got a topo of the park area. While scanning that topo, I spotted a helipad in the middle of nowhere. I mean, the closest thing to that pad was a single building about 2 miles away over some ridgelines with NO road access to the pad. BUT, that pad was close to an unimproved road that ran up the backside of the Caverns ridgeline and STOPPED in a "nowhere" place. I am not saying it is a government conspiracy of any kind. I'm just saying that it was / is a L-I-T-T-L-E-B-I-T strange. :icon_scratch:

Appologies to P.B. and Dylan for being so long winded and off topic. :hello:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield:
I do believe there are Spanish caches in the western portion of the U.S., but theirs are not the ONLY ones. I've come to believe that the Spanish were prospectors, but MAINLY scavengers who recovered and confiscated the old mining sites and caches left by others who were here long before the "great conquers" ever landed in South and Central America.
Starting in as late as the 19th century, I believe that there were well organized groups of nefarious people who developed their own codes based on the old ones for their own uses. They knew the codes were dependable so why change them very much? Just modify them a little bit to identify them as specific to THEIR group. An excellent example of this is the little triangular "flag" serifs on certain letters of the English alphabet as used by the Knights Templar (or if you prefer, the Scottish Rites Masons).
As I've written previously; there were many groups of people already HERE on the North American Continent WAAAAAAY before Columbus got lost. But to hear one person tell it; the only thing we (you) should pay any attention to is the trails left by the Spanish. Sorry, that leaves out too much history for me. I want to learn it ALL. At least as much as I can in the rest of my life. My health and personal situation does not allow me to travel out to the main areas of activity, so I live vicariously through the photos and experiences of others who ARE "out there". And many of those folks allow me to mark things in their photos that appear manmade or artificial while not trying to define their meanings. I usually ASK if they might mean such and such. But, because I've never claimed to be "expert" in this area, I NEVER try to label something as definitely one thing or another. I have openly left that to the more experienced and knowledgeable THers. I've learned during the past few years, that Old Dog, dsty, Desertmoons, ClayLindsey (sp), Oddrock, Rockhopper2, Tesoro Dog, tenclaw, HossKGC, and a few others whose words are solid and who do not condemn other folks questions, ideas, or viewpoints. I recently took you off of my "ignore" list after realizing that even though you don't agree with a lot of things posted here, you do not denigrate folks for disagreeing with you. I saw that I'd had the wrong idea about you and your observations. I'm trying to stay clear of the word "opinions" because opinions are like a--holes. Everybody's got one and most of them stink. :laughing7: LMAO... Couldn't resist that one. Anyway, you make many excellent points and ask pretty pointed questions, but I don't recall you ever getting into the personal attack arena. I made one post about a comment you posted as being a good example of why I had put you on "ignore"..............for that I apologize. I should not have done that.

While I'm apologizing again, "Sorry, P.B. and Dylan, for writing another "book" on your thread." Sometimes, I get too carried away. ;D

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Shortstack said:
Springfield:
I do believe there are Spanish caches in the western portion of the U.S., but theirs are not the ONLY ones. I've come to believe that the Spanish were prospectors, but MAINLY scavengers who recovered and confiscated the old mining sites and caches left by others who were here long before the "great conquers" ever landed in South and Central America.
Starting in as late as the 19th century, I believe that there were well organized groups of nefarious people who developed their own codes based on the old ones for their own uses. They knew the codes were dependable so why change them very much? Just modify them a little bit to identify them as specific to THEIR group. An excellent example of this is the little triangular "flag" serifs on certain letters of the English alphabet as used by the Knights Templar (or if you prefer, the Scottish Rites Masons).
As I've written previously; there were many groups of people already HERE on the North American Continent WAAAAAAY before Columbus got lost. But to hear one person tell it; the only thing we (you) should pay any attention to is the trails left by the Spanish. Sorry, that leaves out too much history for me. I want to learn it ALL. At least as much as I can in the rest of my life. My health and personal situation does not allow me to travel out to the main areas of activity, so I live vicariously through the photos and experiences of others who ARE "out there". And many of those folks allow me to mark things in their photos that appear manmade or artificial while not trying to define their meanings. I usually ASK if they might mean such and such. But, because I've never claimed to be "expert" in this area, I NEVER try to label something as definitely one thing or another. I have openly left that to the more experienced and knowledgeable THers. I've learned during the past few years, that Old Dog, dsty, Desertmoons, ClayLindsey (sp), Oddrock, Rockhopper2, Tesoro Dog, tenclaw, HossKGC, and a few others whose words are solid and who do not condemn other folks questions, ideas, or viewpoints. I recently took you off of my "ignore" list after realizing that even though you don't agree with a lot of things posted here, you do not denigrate folks for disagreeing with you. I saw that I'd had the wrong idea about you and your observations. I'm trying to stay clear of the word "opinions" because opinions are like a--holes. Everybody's got one and most of them stink. :laughing7: LMAO... Couldn't resist that one. Anyway, you make many excellent points and ask pretty pointed questions, but I don't recall you ever getting into the personal attack arena. I made one post about a comment you posted as being a good example of why I had put you on "ignore"..............for that I apologize. I should not have done that.

No apology needed. I know I anger some people on this forum catagory because I disagree with many things said here. My only intent has always been to encourage folks to seek the 'truth' of things. If you're looking for the 'truth', you have to start out with all possibilities on the table and work to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Since I believe that most everything we are taught and believe is a lie to begin with, the separation process is difficult and often disturbing. But I'm just a real curious person who, from childhood, has questioned the 'book answers', and keeps trying to peek behind the curtain. Most people aren't that way and want things nice and tidy. It is what it is.

I suspect the individuals you've mentioned are all a lot like me. I've been where all of them are, but have moved on in different directions to some extent. My working model of the subject at hand has been built by about 40 years experience with people, places and things that continue to amaze me. Maybe one of my strong points is that I'm willing to change my working model. I've thrown out years of beliefs that I once thought were unshakable when necessary. This can be a bitter pill to swallow, but life goes on.

The ideas you mentioned in your post above are definitely headed in the correct direction, IMHO. I don't buy any of your photo markups of natural phenomena, however. It's interesting, yes, but I don't believe it goes anywhere. Not just you, but the same goes for nearly all of these 'looks like an owl' arguements, for my money. Maybe some day we'll find the answers we're looking for. Frankly, I doubt it, but that shouldn't keep us from trying.

Went on a hike up on the mountain behind my house yesterday. I always find something new up there. Pic 1 was a big surprise. It was unlocked and empty. Pic 2 may be fodder for those who see treasure signs in every rock. Maybe they're right. Pic 3 was a rock monument. As I mentioned in a previous post, I always carefully disassemble them to see if they contain anything interesting. This one did.

Attachments

• 3-27-1.JPG
    3-27-1.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 715
  • 3-27-2.JPG
    3-27-2.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 722
  • 3-27-3.JPG
    3-27-3.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 622

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of these 3 photos, the one that is the biggest mystery to me is that security box. Those things are not cheap, to begin with, and the size of THAT one is up the "price ladder". All of the obvious questions just make the situation that much more intriguing. The person staking that claim wouldn't have needed such a "carry case" for his paperwork and carrying in some valuable stuff for hiding would have been a lot easier in more appropriate containers. Then, it could have been a city slicker with no sense. LOL
That claim notice is pretty recent. Do you live on BLM land? Is that claim pretty close to your property?
That big cracked rock "monument" looks odd. The base stone has smaller ones tucked in for support as if man made. It would seem, too, that the big top rock was cracked pretty clean and straight for it to have been a case of "cut by freezing water". Oh, well. Scientist also tell us that granite was formed my volcanic action.

As far as those carved monuments and trail signs, we'll just have to agree to disagree about those. ALL of them just cannot be natural; just as ALL of them are not man made.

Here's my most favorite trail carving:

DSC00017-1 (2).jpg DSC00017-1-2.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00017-1 (2).jpg
    DSC00017-1 (2).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC00017-1-2.jpg
    DSC00017-1-2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 503

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Shortstack said:
Of these 3 photos, the one that is the biggest mystery to me is that security box. Those things are not cheap, to begin with, and the size of THAT one is up the "price ladder". All of the obvious questions just make the situation that much more intriguing. The person staking that claim wouldn't have needed such a "carry case" for his paperwork and carrying in some valuable stuff for hiding would have been a lot easier in more appropriate containers. Then, it could have been a city slicker with no sense. LOL
That claim notice is pretty recent. Do you live on BLM land? Is that claim pretty close to your property?

I was wandering in steep, empty, remote country, just following my dog and walked up on the box. Dogs tend to find lots of things for you. There was no sign of man (road, trail, camp, prospect, wood cutting, animal bones, etc) within several hundred yards. It was nowhere near that mining claim, which I found much later. My theory is that the box was stolen from someone's house and broken open (there's a crack on its top near the lock), then discarded in the forest to get rid of the evidence.

I live on a portion of a patented mining claim, adjacent to Forest Service land. The claim is a mile or so away, as the crow flies. Also in the band-aid box were some other old assessment work papers, falling apart, that dated back to 1995. Occasionally you find papers dating back to the '50's or '60's, but there's not much left of them. There's lots of old workings on the mountain - shafts, tunnels, dumps, trenches, prospect holes, arrastras, gold catchers, building ruins, etc.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AHHHHhhhhh. I was correct!! A city slicker with no sense brought that box up there. Of course, if he'd been smart, he wouldn't have stolen the dang box in the first place.
With all of the prospects in the area, have you found any good specimen pieces of material? In some cases, specimen items can bring in decent coinage without breaking one's back. :coffee2:
Is your dog a true tracker, I mean, a gold tracker??

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I Never actually Asked her to show me the Mark.

Years ago the Neighbor Lady told me they Marked her place.

If Memory serves, I believe she said
they asked if they could Leave a sign.

Like me, She was never the Type to
Turn anyone Walking & in Need away.

I Never Had Hobo's stop though.
Before my time.

But wonder IF My Place was marked somehow :tongue3:
it seemed 9 out of every 10 Persons in Need, to walk into town
would Knock at my door.
Didn't matter if it was in The Morning, afternoon,
Or middle of the night, something Told people
I would answer :dontknow:

The Invention of cell Phones has ended it though

OP
OP
P.B. and Dylan

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
Shortstack said:
Appologies to P.B. and Dylan for being so long winded and off topic. :hello:
Shortstack said:
While I'm apologizing again, "Sorry, P.B. and Dylan, for writing another "book" on your thread." Sometimes, I get too carried away. ;D
[/quote

No problem Shortstack. I feel that if any topic I post promotes discussion, even if it goes off topic, it was a successful contribution to the people on this site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread