Hoe, Hammer, and an Interesting Shoe Buckle

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found two tools today. Also found my 7th shoe buckle, unfortunately fragments most likely from the plow. It's the largest one I've found so far. When I tried to bend the corner back it snapped exposing the untarnished metal. When they were polished they must have had an almost gold brass color.

tres102.jpg tres103.jpg tres104.jpg tres106.jpg tres107.jpg tres108.jpg

Upvote 8

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! What's your take on the hammer? I found one a few months ago at a 1600's site. Normally I wouldn't think much of a hammer head but I kept it thinking it might actually be colonial period and worth some electrolysis.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This area had a farm showing up on an 1830's map but European settlement goes back to 1650's. These tools were found close to where I found an 1876 Seated Liberty Dime and my gut feeling is they belong to that layer. But downhill from these finds I discovered a broken non-claw hammer and chisel that I believe date back to the 1700's. I almost always leave large pieces of iron at the sites but the chisel and a steel scribe I did collect.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was born and raised out where you’re detecting. I have a lot of insight on hunting the area if you’re interested. The hammer is solid mid/late 19th c.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread