holed Wheat Cent?

pjm66

Jul 18, 2010
Somerset Co NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out for a couple hours this evening-found a 1916s Wheat that has a hole drilled through it right over Lincoln's head. Good luck charm I presume? I've never heard of a holed Wheat cent before- anyone have an idea why someone would do such a thing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Face it, man will drill anything that isn't moving!
Carl

rmbutcher4

Jun 9, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quiet common with older coins. Recently found an 1825 large cent with the same thing.

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back then most clothes were homemade and it was alot of extra work to put pockets in so alot of coins were punched and worn around the neck, not as jewelry but as a way to carry it.

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Nice. I just found my first holed wheat cent last week in my neighbors yard. It was a 1909 Plain. Figured maybe it was holed because it was the first year they were made. I had never seen one before either.

Nice find though.

Possibly the person could have been born in that year. It must have had some significance to the person who drilled the hole through it.

Deerhunter24

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back then most clothes were homemade and it was alot of extra work to put pockets in so alot of coins were punched and worn around the neck, not as jewelry but as a way to carry it.
Yes they would in the early years even tie them on strings and sow them inside their Jacket or shirt or whatever they had on that day.... Cool historical dig !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

OP
OP
pjm66

pjm66

Jul 18, 2010
Somerset Co NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My second oldest coin is a holed 1832 half dime---I know it was fairly common before the Civil War. I'd never heard of holed 20th century coin. I was thinking maybe charm bracelet? I was happy to get it, it is the oldest wheat I've found. I found it not too far from where I got a really nice 1907 IH last week-Im hoping I'm into a good spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread