Holiday Day 3! 😎 xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Bit of a scorcher today… well warmer than it has been is possibly more accurate. So we headed off to the other side of the lane from the chicken farm havent done this field before, but in its favour the Roman Road crosses the bottom side of it, so thought we should give it a tickle.

Bit of a mixed bag, lord knows what has happened here in the past, but literally hundreds of banging 83s, all turned out to be melted metal of some description 🙄 xx

Let me start you off with a Bull’s nose ring 😆… then the ugliest pot leg ever found, 2 bits of buckle x 2, little buckle, thimble, mystery piece(?) another bit of a spoon, 2 lead bits one on the right is super smooth, 🤔. musket ball, bullet, and lead ball with iron bit, little lead button and I don’t know if it’s a tack pin or button? Modern bits, buttons, 3 scrappy pre dec, and a half round stone piece I saw on the surface ? Todays star prize goes to himself for this rather splendid cut hammered… check out the ‘tash 😳 … xx

Pretty views again from this side of the village! xx Tomorrow we are headed back over the the castle side on the banks of the river! xx

IMG_8603.jpeg
IMG_8604.jpeg
IMG_8605.jpeg
IMG_8606.jpeg
IMG_8607.jpeg
IMG_8608.jpeg
IMG_8609.jpeg
IMG_8610.jpeg
IMG_8611.jpeg
IMG_8612.jpeg
IMG_8613.jpeg
IMG_8614.jpeg
IMG_8615.jpeg
IMG_8616.jpeg
IMG_8618.jpeg
IMG_8602.png
IMG_8601.png
IMG_8599.jpeg
IMG_8597.jpeg
IMG_8598.jpeg

Upvote 17

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of goodies.
Congrats!
And on himself's cut silver as well!

So many buttons this year and last.
You could string them like popcorn for holiday decorating and run them about the house multiple times...

To the river then!
This should be good.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
4 is my lucky number. LUCK to you and himself on day 4 and as always, thanks for the post.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know which is cooler -- the finds or the setting. I'm happy for you, and maybe a bit jealous. 8-)

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bit of a scorcher today… well warmer than it has been is possibly more accurate. So we headed off to the other side of the lane from the chicken farm havent done this field before, but in its favour the Roman Road crosses the bottom side of it, so thought we should give it a tickle.

Bit of a mixed bag, lord knows what has happened here in the past, but literally hundreds of banging 83s, all turned out to be melted metal of some description 🙄 xx

Let me start you off with a Bull’s nose ring 😆… then the ugliest pot leg ever found, 2 bits of buckle x 2, little buckle, thimble, mystery piece(?) another bit of a spoon, 2 lead bits one on the right is super smooth, 🤔. musket ball, bullet, and lead ball with iron bit, little lead button and I don’t know if it’s a tack pin or button? Modern bits, buttons, 3 scrappy pre dec, and a half round stone piece I saw on the surface ? Todays star prize goes to himself for this rather splendid cut hammered… check out the ‘tash 😳 … xx

Pretty views again from this side of the village! xx Tomorrow we are headed back over the the castle side on the banks of the river! xx

View attachment 2100566 View attachment 2100567 View attachment 2100568 View attachment 2100569 View attachment 2100570 View attachment 2100571 View attachment 2100572 View attachment 2100573 View attachment 2100574 View attachment 2100575 View attachment 2100576 View attachment 2100577 View attachment 2100578 View attachment 2100579 View attachment 2100580 View attachment 2100581 View attachment 2100582 View attachment 2100583 View attachment 2100584 View attachment 2100585
Congratulations to himself for a lovely hammered...love the detail!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2100566 View attachment 2100567 View attachment 2100568 View attachment 2100569 View attachment 2100570 View attachment 2100571 View attachment 2100572 View attachment 2100573 View attachment 2100574 View attachment 2100575 View attachment 2100576 View attachment 2100577 View attachment 2100578 View attachment 2100579 View attachment 2100580 View attachment 2100581 View attachment 2100582 View attachment 2100583 View attachment 2100584 View attachment 2100585
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!! Gold Soon:)

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
A little update on the bits of metal we found all over this field… 😳.. wow another side to detecting that really makes you stop and think xx

Avro Lancaster I PB745 CA-Q 189 Sqn​

On 26th November 1944, Avro Lancaster I PB745 CA-Q of No 189 Sqn took of from RAF Fulbeck in Lincolnshire at 23:53 Hrs, loaded with 18 clusters of incendiaries resulting in an all up wight of 64,654lbs for a raid on Munchen, Germany.
Shortly after take-off, the aircraft reached a height of 1,000ft and had just levelled out when it went out of control and crashed 200 yards South of Croxton Kerrial, 1 1/2 miles North West of Saltby in Leicestershire at 00:04 Hrs on the 27th November. Position 52.51 N, 00.46W.
Just prior to the crash, the aircraft cleared telegraph wires 30′ high. About 200 yds from the wires, the airscrews made contact with the ground. The aircraft appears to have made an impact, then ricocheted just above the ground, hit a sugar beet stack and made a second impact with a hedge. Crossed a road, tearing down another hedge and telegraph pole and came to rest about 300 yds from the point of its first impact, but facing the reciprocal direction. The port wing was still attached to the fuselage, also, the port inner engine. The tail unit from the rear back door was facing at right angles 20 yds from the fuselage.
The crew were:
BAYLISS Dennis Alfred, 1106297, Sergeant, Flight Engineer, RAF(VR) – was the Son of Alfred and Ellen Gertrude Bayliss, of Erdington, Birmingham and is buried in Grave F573 at Erdington (St. Barnabas) Churchyard in Warwickshire.
McCLUNE William Joseph, 1088075, Flight Sergeant, Air Bomber, RAF(VR) – was the Son of John and Harriet McClune, of Belfast and is buried in Section K, Grave 323 of the Knockbreda Cemetery, County Down, Northern Ireland.
PROBERT Alan Charles, 1621153, Flight Sergeant, Navigator, RAF(VR) – was the on of Rashleigh Charles and Florence Probert, of Bromborough and is buried in Section A. C. of E. Grave 399 of the Bebington (Plymyard) Cemetery, Cheshire. Alan originally survived the crash but died of his injuries later that day.
VENNING Owen Earle, R/198411, Flight Sergeant, Wireless Operator/Air Gunner, RCAF – was the Son of Robert Hugh and Daisy May Venning, of Toronto, Ontario, Canada and is buried in Section H. Row C. Grave 18 of the Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery, North Yorkshire.
Owen-Earle-Venning.jpg

Sgt-Owen-Earle-Venning.jpg

The other crew members who survived the crash were:
PRESLAND D S, 1586194, Flight Sergeant, Pilot
FENDER I S, 1365661, Sergeant, Mid-Upper Gunner
DYSON Richard Frederick, 526815, Sergeant , Rear Gunner, RAF. Richard DYSON was awarded the George Medal for his gallantry actions in saving his fellow crew mates and this was announced in the Fourth Supplement to the London Gazette dated Tuesday 24th April 1945. His citation reads:
526815 Sergeant Richard Frederick DYSON, Royal Air Force.
One night in November, 1944, Sergeant Dyson was rear gunner of an aircraft detailed for a bombing attack and carrying a load of’ incendiaries, including those of the explosive type. Shortly after taking off, the aircraft crashed, broke up and burst into flames. On impact Sergeant Dyson was thrown, whilst still in the rear turret, 50 yards from the aircraft and, although badly shaken, was able to release himself with an axe. On hearing, cries for help Sergeant Dyson at once went to the aid of his ‘fellow’ crew-members, despite the fact that the aircraft wreckage was scattered over the area, and as burning furiously, with incendiaries exploding and unexploded bombs lying both in and about the wreckage. He first went, to the mid-upper gunner, who had been thrown, clear of the aircraft in his turret. Sergeant Dyson was able to-assure himself that this gunner was in no immediate danger. Sergeant Dyson next turned his attention to those of his comrades who were nearer the fuselage. He dragged the pilot from the immediate danger area around the aircraft and then ran back to continue his search for other members of the crew. He found the navigator, who was seriously injured and with his clothing on fire, about 15 yards from the aircraft, Sergeant Dyson put out the fire with his hands receiving burns to both hands whilst doing so. Seeing assistance coming, he called out to attract attention to the navigator and himself. He was later found by rescue parties wandering around, suffering from shock. It was eventually found that more than half the bomb load had ignited. The danger was at times so great that members of the rescue parties were obliged to park vehicles 200 yards away and wait until the explosions and fires had moderated. Sergeant Dyson showed outstanding gallantry by his persistent efforts to help his comrades and undoubtedly saved the life of his pilot.
Following his recovery, Sgt Dyson returned to service with No 189 Sqn at RAF Fulbeck.
On 2nd February 1945, he was the rear gunner of a crew aboard Lancaster PB840 which took off from RAF Fulbeck at 20:18 Hrs tasked with bombing Karlsruhe in Germany. Following take off, nothing was heard from the aircraft and it failed to return to base.
A missing Research & Enquiry team later reported that the aircraft had crashed at Unterowisheim on 2nd February 1945. The village of Karlsdorf is situated approx 10 miles west of Unterowisheim. Six of the crew were killed and were buried in the Durnbach War Cemetery in Bad Tolz, Bayern, Germany. The only survivor was Sgt Richard Dyson who was taken POW and returned home on 25th July 1945

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread