Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope everyone has had a nice holiday!! ;D

I went down to the coast for the Christmas weekend. I packed the detectors with hopes to maybe get in a beach hunt or two. I had went to see a friend of mine that is in a very old area while I was in town. He had been clearing some of his property recently and found what appears to be the foundation of an old house place. The main area of the house is still unhuntable due to the thick scrub that surrounds the foundation, but I was able to hunt in the general vicinity and also along what looks to be an old road bed that led up to the house at one time.
Here are some of the non-metallic surface finds:
gcsurfacegm3.jpg

A few necks and bottoms of some early bottles. Pipe stems and old porcelin also indicate an early site.
Here are some of the iron targets:
gcironaa7.jpg

Mostly cooking related items with a few iron buckles thrown in.
Here are the non-ferrous targets:
gcbrassxf2.jpg

At the top is what looks to be a brass or copper bracelet of some type, some furniture hardware, misc buckles,wick adjuster,clock key, a neat old copper ring, and three coins. The coins are an 1842-O seated quarter, and two other coins that came from the road bed and are too damaged to tell. One is a copper of some sort and the other is a seated dime of unknown date.
The quarter made up for the two from the road bed and looks pretty good since it came from around a large live oak one the side of the foundation.
1842fof0.jpg

1842bpa5.jpg

My friend said he will have the whole area cleared by the time I get back down there this spring. I think there will be a few more good things from this site before its done, and now I have something to look forward to that will carry me thru the rest of winter! ;D

D.

Upvote 0

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Very nice finds and WHOA...The potential! Is that a "small date" or "large date" variety?....big diff in value.....congrats....Joe....beautiful coin either way!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
D,

wow, looks like you got yourself an area.

Should keep you warm thinking of it over the winter.

Make sure you keep e-mailing your friend,
and make sure he/she cleans the area out ;D
Let him/her know you want any brush cut short
for when your coming ;)

have a good un.............

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
halfdime said:
That's what friends are for! Nice.
Very nice group D...Gotta love those "no permission" deal's.....Excellent find's :)

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Great finds. Love the quarter. Those old road beds pay off sometimes. Keep em coming.
Bob

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm jealous . A seated coin has eluded me this year...

Congrats ....... Happy New Year and good luck in 2007

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! :o What an opportunity! Can you imagine what is going to be closer to the house! :o

Congratulations on those finds and good luck on your return!

Nana :)

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Oh boy those finds are FANTASTIC! Those old cellar holes are the best. You found relics, my favourite! Those buckles are great. The one on the left with the three hooks in it looks to be mid 1800's. I found some at a Civil War site. Hang onto all those buckles, you may find an eagle button. That would confirm CW activity or at least where a soldier lived. Congrats on those awesome finds ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread