Holiday Hunt

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Me and Will (Buckleboy) got out on the civil war battle site again Friday and Saturday. Here are some pictures of some of my finds. The picture of a complete Schenkl Shell is for reference to show the percussion fuse I found. Was informed by an expert that because the fuse I found has a rounded lip, it is much more rare. This is a copy of the email concerning this fuse.
" Buckleboy's hunting-buddy found what is definitely the blown-off top of a brass Schenkl Percussion fuze.

It seems to be the "Pre-Patent" version of brass Schenkl fuze. Unlike most Schenkl fuzes, the brass Pre-Patent version does not have a marking which gives Schenkl's name and the fuze's Patent-date ...because it was manufactured before the US Patent for that fuze was issued, on Oct. 16, 1861. (That is why we fuze-collectors call the unmarked version the "Pre-Patent" model.) It is MUCH scarcer than the Patent-dated version. Other than the absence of the Patent-date, the only noteworthy difference between the two brass Schenkl models is that the Pre-Patent version's top has a "rounded" lip. Because the patent info cannot be stamped onto its rounded lip, the shape of the lip's edge on the after-Patent version was changed to be completely flat-topped.

I cannot be 100%-certain that it is the Pre-patent version, because a "straight-down-on-it" photo doesn't show the lip's shape very well. For confirmation that it is the rounded-lip version, I need a sideview photo."

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• 3.67 Caliber Percussion Fuzed Schenkl Shell.jpg
    3.67 Caliber Percussion Fuzed Schenkl Shell.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Shane! :hello2:
Congrats on finding a Schenkl Percussion Fuse! :thumbsup:

Dave

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
uinmdy.

Very Cool Shane!! You guys are very near some very good hot spots there but it may take you all winter to find them. The time spent will pay off in spades. That site has not been hit hard with the newer tech. machines. Good luck there, Q

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions