Holiday weekend yields Paleo knife/tool

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed south to my parents for the holiday weekend. My wife and I took our detectors but it was just too hot and too many ticks to be fighting the brush for Civil War relics. Decided to leave relic hunting for the fall and go point hunting at the location that yielded the Fox Valley several weeks ago. The site is a long creek that alternates between small lowland pastures/farms and heavily wooded ridges. The whole area has produced many artifacts going back over a century of mostly Archaic, but supposedly also some Paleo including a Quad and a Cumberland. There was limited view of the ground in the pumpkin patch so we decided to spend the day creek walking. It was a family affair with my mom and dad also accompanying my wife and I. My wife found a large beautiful flake of Sonora almost immediately, but it was hours later when I spotted a large uniface near a bank wash out. Now I can't wait to get down there again and walk more of this creek...maybe there is a Cumberland down there with my name on it!

Attachments

• creek hunting 1.JPG
    creek hunting 1.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 780
  • creek hunting 2.JPG
    creek hunting 2.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 766
  • paleo 1.JPG
    paleo 1.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 751
  • paleo2.JPG
    paleo2.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 756
  • paleo 3.JPG
    paleo 3.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 752
  • paleo 4.JPG
    paleo 4.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 746
  • paleo 5.JPG
    paleo 5.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 762
  • paleo 6.JPG
    paleo 6.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 741
Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Very nice tool. Looks early to me. I really like that piece.

Congrats,

Chuck

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Bill,
When we talked on the phone I had an image of that piece in my mind. Now that I see a picture of it, I am floored. I expected it to be nice, but that is just awesome. Super fine Paleo piece you have found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A top notch find in anyones book. Can't wait to see it in person. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! Jon.

OP
OP
sekypaleo

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! Was a very unexpected and pleasant surprise to find...this is only my second ever creek find. Jon, hope to see ya at the AACA show...if I am in town this weekend , might even try and come out to the picnic this Sunday..what time does it start? Bill

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice well worked Hornstone Paleo spokeshave. You really don't see them that worked that is a fine find :icon_thumright:..................................GTP........

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beauty. I have some material same as that, just can't think what it is right now. Shows the flaking up nicely.
Congrats, looks a great peaceful place to hunt..

Molly.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Thats a beauty. I have some material same as that, just can't think what it is right now. Shows the flaking up nicely.
Congrats, looks a great peaceful place to hunt..

Molly.

Peaceful is a good word. Spectacular tool. Nothing like friends and family and Paleo !
Happy Huntin
TnMtns

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to hold this Blade at the AACA show and it is a spectacular piece of flint, no doubt about that. But like a few others and I were explaining to sekypaleo, unless it came from a site that produces other Paleo it is hard to say for sure if it's a Paleo piece. It definitely has a Paleo look to it and may very well be Paleo, but every culture all they way through Late Woodland made tools very similar to that. Still a very nice artifact no matter what culture made it.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
What you've found is a lamellar blade from fairly early in the reduction sequence of a blade core (note the cortex spot) that's had its edges extensively modified.

Such blades, in your area, come from two time periods : Paleo and Hopewell (Woodland). Woodland examples virtually never have the kind of edge modification yours has, while Paleo examples frequently do when they're found at a distance from the source of the chert they're made of.

Show it to an archaeologist in Ohio who's familiar with Paleo era stuff some time if you get a chance. He'll confirm the above.

Very nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread