Holy Bat Wings...and a silver buckle too.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out to do some land hunting for the first time and came up with a couple of bat wing buckles, a hallmarked silver buckle, an old railroad tag and a cut colonial copper. Don't know much about the buckles, but it's my first hallmarked silver buckle. I've seen the bat wings turn up, but don't know much about them. The cut copper is very thin and probably a Machins piece or counterfeit British halfpence. Didn't find any great coins, but an interesting day. Most areas of the farm were still frozen and only those with great southern exposure had thawed. Still leaves me over 100 acres to hunt : ) Any info on the buckles would be appreciated.

DSC_0094.JPG silver buckle hallmark 3-15-14.jpg railroad tag.jpg half copper 3-15-14.jpg

Upvote 18

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great finds. Is the bottom left some sort of Railroad ID tag?

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, don't know much about the buckles but think the RR tag is baggage claim tag. I found one similar to that from the great northern RR, congratulations on some nice finds.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Buckle is a GREAT find ! and From the hallmark style it certainly looks early too - would that be a shoe buckle or what ?

Graysondigger

Jan 14, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and from the looks of your best coins for last year you found some awesome places to hunt............HH!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buckles Don. I've always liked the look of the batwing buckles and you got a nice silver one too. Great hunt! :occasion14:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a "bump it back up post " this buckle is really a rare find ! I can count the number of 18th century silver buckles found on
one hand in the 6 years or so that I've been on this site - I would really like to see the ends of the buckle where the middle parts
would have attached if you can get some more good pics up - THANKS !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
William Fordham (W.F), London - mid 18th C. Which would fit this style of silver buckle. Nice find.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking silver buckle. Congrats.............Hogge

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coooool, and in NY no less. Great shoe buckle right there, nice batwings too. batwing buckles are believed to be horse-tac related, mid 1800s. ive found a few of those, .. 2 shoe buckle frames also, but not silver. yours gives me hope of maybe finding one. great find man, congrats!

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
The buckle is great and I love the RR tag. 100 acres ... that should keep you occupied for a while!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread