HOLY COW!!!! Im spinning.

C

crappinatbernies

HOLY COW!!!! I'm spinning.

My head is spinning. Stumbled on this site and I'm absolutely mesmerized. I want to start MD'ing....NOW!

How the heck do you decide what a good starter model is though?

I went to Kellyco and sweet Mary..........too many to choose from.

Please, please, please direct me in a couple of good basic models that will make starting out fun. Maybe a couple of intermediate models so I can compare and see where my money goes to upgrade.

or...direct me to a great newbie site.

Please help.

--Bernie

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: HOLY COW!!!! I'm spinning.

Bernie, your probably at the best newbie site already. Welcome to the forum and hobby. I think it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

As for detectors to start with your choice is huge. Many will suggest their favorite brand which may or not be the best for you. Decide what type of detecting you want to start with, coin, relic, or water. A good entry level detector that many are raving about right now is the Garrett ACE 250 for around $200.00 or less. Or you could get a good medium one in the Whites MXT as one example. Many shoot for the farm and get the top of the line as they know they will soon get one some day anyway. For this I recommend the Minelab Explorer SE, or Whites DFX. Both have their followers which are many.

There are those that won't ever order from Kellyco again, I am one. Try to find a local dealer where you can visit and try the ones they carry to see what you like. They are best able to assist you and help if you need assistance. If you can not find a dealer within driving distance, visit the manufactures web site. There are also many others that advertise here on this forum that will give you the, "straight skinny."

Many have bought on ebay a used detector. I don't recommend this as the way to go for a newbie. You don't know if the detector you saved a couple $$$ on works right, and nobody to turn to for help. Stick with new at least for the first one and learn it well.

We'll help all we can. Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
C

crappinatbernies

Wow! Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I'll start with the Ace 250 and work from there. I'll upgrade once I learn proper technique and get some practice.

Bomber gave me a local dealer's name in the Chicago burbs (NW).

Expect to see a lot more posts from me.

Thanks again.
--Bernie

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

definately the Ace 250. Lots of us use that one and we have had much success. Can't beat the price. Just learn it well and it will not fail you.

HH and welcome

Funkman

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Welcome Bernie,

Glad to have you with us. This is a great place to learn, have fun, and make a lot of friends. I have heard a lot of great things about the ACE 250 and it should make a great first detector for you. We all look forward to pics and stories of your finds.

S

Scots Gaelic

Try Amazon.com, I bought my MD (new), for $100.00 cheaper than anywhere else, and got in 3 days!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread