HOLY COW! The Wife Finds 4th set of WWII GI dog tags!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today was our second trip out in 5 months, yesterday I found the two silvers and the wife found zilch. She has been just sure that there was nothing left to find of value in the permission but I keep telling her that there is still good to awesome stuff, we just had to change or alter our hunting. Again she didn't want to hunt in the area that I wanted to hunt. It has a lot of trash and is the least hunted area but she just didn't have any confidence in it. I started out with another decent 1st find with a wheatie but that was it.

Then I heard her call my name and looked back to see her walking very fast towards me. I am thinking a gold ring or maybe a silver dollar by her actions. Then she says those famous words "You're not gonna believe this!" She opens her hand to show me two more GI dog tags from 1942 and she is super stoked. "They were on top of each other and I just about keeled over!" JAMES A. BERTRAM 36145267 T42 ALEX A. BERTRAM BOX 14 FOWLER, MICH C . This our 4th set of dog tags from this site, the others have all been returned to their families as we hope to do with these. My wife is super excited and already working on the return.

Yeah, she always deals out the smack as we unload to hunt but today she delivered big time. We may not find Revolutionary stuff here but the WWII stuff is okay with me and my wife. Pretty darn cool! And the permission is still giving up some awesome stuff! She totally loves her Deus LF coil setup with the Puck. We just found out that this guy was a Sgt and also survived the war and lived to be 78. He had no children but his father had siblings so we are checking this avenue out now. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20181121_161748.jpg
    20181121_161748.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20181121_161815.jpg
    20181121_161815.jpg
    721.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 20181121_172221.jpg
    20181121_172221.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 27
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, good news, we found out that he did have kids and grandkids. We have sent out info to 7 so somebody should respond

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seed the ground for my wife also happy spouse happy house just kiddin!!!! Great finds have you ever returned any of those old tags that would be really cool Well done you two!!!!Tommy

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's amazing!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, my friend. That should make some families very happy and thankful.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the finds and what a nice thanksgiving gift they would be.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big congratulations...good luck on the return! :occasion14:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
normally the loser buys the chocolate frosty but today, I took her out to her favorite Mexican Restaurant, she was and is worth it anyways.

dansalata

May 16, 2011
porterville calif...
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x,whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great work...i also return war items to families...such a blessing to be able to do this...ROCK ON!!!

Ozark Redneck

Oct 14, 2018
Dover Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congratulations To you both nice finds. my wife used to hunt with me a lot but now she's got two new knees and can't get up and down. Enjoy the time while you can Happy Thanksgiving

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! :icon_thumleft: Awesome you can return it to the family!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what you get for talking smack to her on your 2 silvers DL. If you've been married any amount of time, you should have known that one would come back to bite you in the can ! Congrats to your wife on a great find, and good luck on the return.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done, sir (and your spouse as well)!
HH
dts

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some very nice finds!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great news, we have found a distant cousin that is now helping us to locate a direct relative of Mr Bertram. They don't seem to be a very close knit family in that since but the woman was very excited and very happy that someone would even do this for her family. She was and is very heritage oriented and this just reminds her of things forgotten. It is looking like the descendants live in Grand Rapids. Gotta love this sport! DL

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way ya go Looter and Ms looter. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what is amazing is that all four men that we have found dog tags to actually survived the war plus the families have all been located and the tags sent back to them. Only one family was not very receptive to the return, all the others have been super excited. My wife was convinced that we had found all of the WWII finds and all of the good stuff but the permission keeps giving it up. These tags were found about 200 yards from the others. I guess that they were doing some very rigorous training to have lost so many. This site was not a place that anyone really had record of and yet the evidence keeps popping up. Another very awesome part of this is how once communications with a family member is established, their excitement just keeps pouring out as it sinks in what is happening. The hardest part and rightly so has been convincing them that you are not a scammer and you want nothing but to return something to the family. Of course, we do ask for a picture if possible of one of them with the tags. The tags were about 5 inches deep and could have been easily passed as trash but we dig pretty much all repeatable signals. Yeah, we dig a lot of trash but when you find something like the tags, it drives you even more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread