Holy EMI batman! Beware of the invisible fence!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received a 600 for Easter, and used it for the first time yesterday. I hit the beach, and kept to dry sand, as it is loaded with junk, and I want to start learning the tones. I spent a couple of hours with it on Beach 2, and it hit bottle caps, a deep beer can, one pull tab, and some bottle screw tops. I did manage 4 quarters, 2 dimes, and 2 pennies. I'm using my Z-Link wireless MS-3 headphones with the transmitter attached to the 600. It works great. Overall, I like the 600 for a variety of reasons so far.

Today I was at my sister-in-laws property expecting some decent relics from the back woods. To my amazement, when I turned on the machine, it went nuts. Numbers all over the place, would not settle down no matter what I tried. I even went back home (30 minutes away) to see if there was anything on the internet that might explain it. Thanks to a video tutorial, I found out how to do a factory reset, and it went back to normal. So I returned to my sister-in-laws.

Not to sound stupid, but as I stood on the edge of the woods, looked up for power lines or anything running to the house, and finding none, shutting off my cellphone, and finding no change, it finally hit me. As I scanned the edge of the lawn I see a tiny white flag. And then another. And then I see them everywhere. It's a freaking invisible dog fence that they just had installed!! I even brought out my AT Pro to see if the 600 was having some other kind of issue, and the Pro did the same thing.

On a side note, I got a chuckle when I put the 600 in All Metal for the first time. I hit the horseshoe symbol, and my first hit was....you guessed it...a horseshoe! :laughing7:

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since dog fences typically emit 7.5-10 kHz, so you should be able to use 5 or 15 kHz individually on the 600 with silence and possibly even max sensitivity.

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since dog fences typically emit 7.5-10 kHz, so you should be able to use 5 or 15 kHz individually on the 600 with silence and possibly even max sensitivity.

Thanks for that tip. I was drawing a complete blank on how to quiet it down. I lowered the sensitivity A LOT but kept it on multi not knowing that single set to 5 or 15 would do it. It's going to take me a while to learn and understand this machine...

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that tip. I was drawing a complete blank on how to quiet it down. I lowered the sensitivity A LOT but kept it on multi not knowing that single set to 5 or 15 would do it. It's going to take me a while to learn and understand this machine...

I have to remember to unplug mine when I head to the test garden; real easy to tell when I forget. I don't even try the other single frequencies.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to a single higher frequency should do it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How about just turning the fence off when you hunt? :icon_scratch:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since dog fences typically emit 7.5-10 kHz, so you should be able to
use 5 or 15 kHz individually on the 600 with silence and possibly even max sensitivity.

Actually, buried dog fences use a variety of frequencies, depending on the
model. Some go as high as 600kHz, and others as low as 5kHz. There's
even a couple that operate in the FM band (88-108 MHz).

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/kdb/forms/FTSSearchResultPage.cfm?id=20410&switch=P

Also, in the case of the 7.5 kHz, the first harmonic would be 15 kHz, right on top of
the operating freq. of the detector.

Just ask them to turn the dog fence off while you're detecting...solves all the potential issues.

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about just turning the fence off when you hunt? :icon_scratch:

If it was my home, I certainly would have. Unfortunately, no one was home at the time to do so.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Maybe, but 5 and 15 are harmonics of 7.5 and 10 so I have my doubts.

lucky92

Nov 30, 2017
Jefferson City missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites classic sl, Garrett 350, mx sport, equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I turn my 800 on and I'm searching for my headphones it sets off my dogs wireless collar, which he doesn't find as amusing as I do.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep the invisible fence is bad for any detector and has a far reaching range, it doesn't matter what kHz you run it seems. All you can really do to help out is turn the gain way down but you will lose lots of depth. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread