Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Holy Grail' of baseball cards sold for $2.1 million

'Holy Grail' of baseball cards sold for $2.1 million - CNN.com New York (CNN) -- The final bid for a trading card that the National Baseball Hall of Fame calls "the Holy Grail" topped $2.1 million -- the highest price ever paid for a baseball card in a public auction.

The 1909 card of Pittsburgh Pirate shortstop Honus Wagner -- one of only about 50 in existence -- was auctioned off by Goldin Auctions in West Berlin, New Jersey. Bidding started at $500,000 on February 25.

The buyer chose to remain anonymous after the successful bid, but Ken Goldin, owner of Goldin Auctions, told CNN he is "best described as a wealthy individual investor and a baseball fan."

Goldin said the buyer did not indicate what they planned to do with the card. A total of 15 bids were made for the prized item.

The card is in short supply because Wagner made the American Tobacco Company recall it when he discovered it had made the card without his permission. He didn't want kids to buy cigarettes, the auction house said.

The card was released as Wagner was on his way to winning his seventh batting title and about to lead the Pirates to their first World Series win. It's garnered such a place in baseball history that it has its own plaque at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

The winning bid came in at $2,105,770.50, including the buyer's premium, according to a statement from Goldin Auctions on Saturday.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buyer chose to remain anonymous after the successful bid, but Ken Goldin, owner of Goldin Auctions, told CNN he is "best described as a wealthy individual investor and a baseball fan."

Funny, but Saturday Night Live's Seth Meyer's described the story as, "A fool and his money soon parted" :laughing7:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's a genuine rare card. Not one of the "manufactured rare cards"--meaning the company printed 250,000,000 regular cards and only 125,000,000 of the super rare cards.

It would be nice to find one of those in an estate sale box.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to be a Problem with your Link It opened and When I closed it It Opened about 25 other Windows all The Same, My virus Protection Did Not Alert me to A Problem But your Link Might Have Issues

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cnn.com/2013/04/06/business/honus-wagner-baseball-card-auction/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

that is the link!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I Found the Problem On My End Seems To Be A Cookie Issue With The Site And My Protection

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread