Home made cent roll cutter

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
I am new into mass penny sorting. I purchased 2 Ryedales. I can not feed coins into these fast enough!! I happen to be a metal fabricator by trade so I devised a cent roll cutter. So far so good!! 20 rolls opened and dumped in a minute and a half. That might be fast enough to keep up with WP_000230.jpg WP_000231.jpg WP_000232.jpg WP_000233.jpg the dales

Upvote 0

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe open rolls and dump them into buckets to keep the machines from running idle.. and try to find a source of bags would be sweeter. I really like your craftsmanship on that though, hopefully it doesn't slice up the edge too badly if you happened to get a valuable cent.

OP
OP
C

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
i would really like to find a source for bags! That would be sweet. My homemade cutter works pretty well. I opened and sorted $400 in cents on friday night. The cutter is way safer than any other method I have tried for opening rolls.

it does leave a little nick on the edge of the coins but no more than the other method i was using. I tried peeling the crimped edges off the rolls but that seems to take to long. Thanks for the craftsmanship compliment PhattyB. This was a quick little something I threw together one night. I would like to make a second one with a handle pusher similar to a can crusher.

I am almost done sorting 45 boxes of cents. Working on scanning the coppers for Wheats. Down to a 1 gallon pail to search. Hopefully I will get time this week to figure out what I kept from those boxes. I will start a new thread for that. Thanks all and HAppy HUNting

CR

silas1128

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its seems to me that cutting the edge of a roll might damage any cool old coins you are looking for. Unless, you are just searching for copper.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can probably get some bags that halves come in if you wanted, am sure they would fit a few boxes of pennies no problem. If your rolls are paper just whack them on the edge of something (like a counter, but don't do it to yours as it may damage it) then dump, it takes no time at all. Banks may just give you some of the bags, if not, find a few banks that order coins in bags and just keep them and turn coins in with a coinlok bag. Banks usually have huge zippered bags they will give out if requested nicely.

OP
OP
C

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
I will look into buying bags from the same bank I buy boxes from. I am mostly looking for copper but sure do like the cool finds. I have a bunch of canvas mint bags I got with my ryedale. Also have a bunch of 2 1/2 gallon pails I've been getting from my local gas station. I am working on building a penny sorting station so I will incorporate a roll whacker into it. It would be just my luck to get a super rare coin and me have dinged it up with my cutter. Buying in bags would be best but there's not a whole lotta banks close to me. There are quite a few15-20 miles south of me. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

HH. CR

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are in well with your vault manager you may try asking her if she could request the coins in your order to be bagged instead of boxed. I know brinks just gives them to banks based on what the bank wants, and every branch seems different.

OP
OP
C

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a wonderful idea twiasp!! I will ask today when I go pick up my boxes. getting ten from my local bank, 15 from a different branch and ten on tuesday from cu next to my dump cu. The gal working my normal cu was very friendly so there may be a chance. All the tellers at the banks i order from are very friendly. I also experimented with slicing the ends off with a razor blade. Just one end then using a sharpie to push coins out. Seems to work pretty well. Knocking them open works okay but was slowing me down having two separate halves to contend with. Thanks again!!

HH CR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread