Home States

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I know it has been brought up before, but without revealing your home town,
wouldn't our posts be more interesting if we knew what area or state the posts
were about? Most posts are about coins so it's highly unlikely anyone will flock
there to overrun the area. Why not at least list your state, is it a privacy issue?
Please post your reasons.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah but then some of the ladies on here might start stalking me. Which is fine with me...it's just that the frying pan or rolling pin upside my head from the wife would smart a bit.

Just kidding, I actually DO list my home town.

HH,
SgtSki

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Where I live is posted below my avatar. I do agree.... I find myself wondering were some of the finds are made.

VPR

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
self Identification anywhere on the net can be extremely risky. You say it's just a state, but the D.A. will say it's another nail in your coffin to prove the IRS's case against you. You say it's a coincidence they'll say another coincidence along with many more etc..... >:(

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
For those who aren't aware......IP numbers can be traced. If the IRS wants you, they'll find you either way.

Smitty

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have nothing to hide. You also won't see me posting that I found the Lost Duchman Mine. That piece of information will go to the grave with me! Uh oh...I'm on the net did I say too much? ;)

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
For those that aren't aware, a IP trace looks alot differen't to a judge and jury than a picture of some dufus standing next to the hole he states in the text that he dug followed by twelve pics of his finds. Less is better when it comes to what you say or show. I know of one oldtimer who was known to haunt a specific location until he stopped showing up suddenly. The next time some vandalism occured at that location the police started hunting him as suspect number one. turns out he'd moved to Fla. but in the process of their investigation of where he wen't etc... It was discovered that he had quite alot of cash and jewelry which he claimed to have found. The police never proved otherwise, but he's now serving time for tax evasion. I too have had experience with the IRS's unlimited powers to search and seize with out warrants, and I can tell you that I'm glad they could find very little info to try and convict me with. Not that I'm a tax evader but that's hardly even relavent nowadays. When their case began to fall apart they started to grab at straws like statements I had made on the Internet, only problem was they weren't my statements and they failed to prove otherwise. ;D

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
MD Dog you are starting to make me nervous. But you are right about the authorities having too much free will to do as they want, right or wrong. Perhaps you are right and less information is better.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Farmercal said:
I have nothing to hide. You also won't see me posting that I found the Lost Duchman Mine. That piece of information will go to the grave with me! Uh oh...I'm on the net did I say too much? ;)

Believe me when I say that although we all know your kidding here, they would actually dig this up and present it as evidence, trying to prove it wasn't a joke. And if you do happen to have some treasure holdings tucked away somewhere that they find ! :o adios me amigo seeya in 10-15.

OP
OP
Tubecity

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I can understand being discreet on major finds or letting anyone know of collections or any valuables. And I know the less people know of your business the better off you are. But for example I list s.w. Pa. as my area , it's a fairly large area, but how easy would it be for someone to nail it down to my town or home. At times the posts are pretty interesting as are the finds and I guess we sometimes wonder what state or even part of the country we are reading about.

wedjlok

Nov 3, 2007
Orange Park, FL
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350, ACE 250, Whites Bullseye 140mm
Then again, just posting where you're living, in a broad sense and without pics of exact hunting locations, wouldn't really matter to the ones that have security cameras and other security "devices" on their property in just such events as unwanted "visitors". But that's just my opinion, really. Nothing that I find or own is ever worth dieing over, really, so it doesn't really matter. Let them meet me on a beach at night, though, and that's a different story. ;)

Aeryck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread