Home Town MD hunt

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Hello there! Know I haven’t been posting here in a while, but between work and more work, I really have been stuck not having time :(. Anyways, I visited my folks out in my hometown of Rio Grande City, deep in south Texas. Got to visit the old fort and do some detecting near my mothers house.

Hadn’t been long after I started when I got my first hit, and out popped a Buffalo Nickel. The coin was in very poor condition and seems it has been in the ground since the day it was minted. The only thing I can get from the date is a “9” at the end. About an hour later out pops 1890 “Uno Centavo”, Mexican one cent. Our town is along the border and was active during the Mexican revolution. That explained my other find, “Cinco Centavos”, five cents 1915 (bottom left). The words on the face mean “Constitutional Military (Army)”. This coin was from the Mexican state of Chihuaua.

My next two finds came later on that afternoon near my mom’s neighbor’s 100-year-old house. First popped out a Washington qtr. And can make out 194… Cant make out the rest for sure, but it may look like a 6. It’s weird how right before your going to end a hunt, you get a hit, and this was a great hit too. Near the old house where a dirt driveway runs, I got the silver I was looking for. Under only the top loose gravel pops this Barber Quarter. It was in really bad condition, as you can imagine and I had to wait until I got home to work some magic. After a couple days of slowly letting some of the grime com off and washing lightly in warm running water, the date appeared… 1901 :o!!! Heart began to pound as the next step was to see if it had a mintmark. My eyes gleamed and my heart pounded as that “O” stared back at me :o. It was an awesome feeling!

Finds:
· ???9 Buffalo Nickel
· 1915 Chihuaua 5 cents
· 1890 Mexican 1 cent
· 194? Washington Qtr.
· 1901 “O” Barber Qtr.

Attachments

• DSC01876.JPG
    DSC01876.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC01879.JPG
    DSC01879.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 239

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Cooltone, I bet that was an awesome hunt. Those Mexican cents are a very good dig, I rather dig those than that barber personally. 1890 - that is a nice find.

The Mexican revolution started in 1910 I believe.

Thanks for sharing the finds,

Jason

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds Cooltone! The fort there was occupied during the Civil war by Confederate troops and there were a couple skirmishes there also. My job takes me through there sometimes and I'm always looking for new construction sites.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
That show looks interesting, I may try to run over there if time permits.

Thanks for the link Cooltone

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Mad it up to the money show on Saturday at about noon. There were a lot of exhibitors there with a lot of neat stuff. No metal detecting booths there, but some booths had relics as far back as the Civil War. Enjoyed my time, and even won a drawing there. It was interesting looking at the 3 legged buffalo nickel and the person telling me "It's a deal, only $29,500. :o" All I could thing about, Tony, this is the dog house for ya! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread