Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I threw this together in a few afternoons for a total cost of roughly $18. It has a 40" handle and the holes are 5/8". The screen on the back is 1/2". The mouth of the scoop is 5 - 3/4" wide by 9" deep. I thought about putting a strong magnet somewhere to grab hair clips and iron junk. It seems very durable and has no flex at all.

I contemplated adding more 1/2 hardware cloth around the top, in between the handle and back. I will see how well it holds up this week before any more modifications. I was also going to get a short section of bright colored "fun noodle" to slip around part of the handle to help it float and make it easier to see.

2014-07-14 19.46.49.jpg 2014-07-14 19.47.08.jpg 2014-07-14 19.47.25.jpg

Upvote 0

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
Here are my finds after a couple of hours at the freshwater beach. The dry sand didn't have any targets as they had just trucked fresh sand in so all of my detecting was in the water.

The ring is marked .925. The big coin is a new $1 presidential coin with Abe Lincoln (my second found ever). Not much trash in the water other than a few tabs and foil. There were some iron signals that I believe were hair clips, which my scoop couldn't catch. There is a lot more area to cover so I will be returning in the upcoming weeks. The deeper water proved to be a challenge, I went to about chest depth and absolutely wore myself out. Most of the targets that I recovered were around 2 inches deep in the sand, a few of the quarters were 6 to 8 inches and required a few scoops to find.

As for the scoop, despite everyone's predictions it held up great! I pushed it full of sand with each scoop, no bending, breaking, or flexing. It did a great job of getting the sand out when I swished it around underwater. I intentionally scooped deep and put a lot of force on it trying to find a failure point.

I am going to improve on my deign in a couple of ways. I am going to build a rigid brace across the back to push on with my foot, I was pushing just above the hardware cloth at the top of the scoop which didn't provide a lot of area for my foot. I am also considering installing a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth on the top of the scoop, so when I swish the scoop around under water to wash sand out I lessen the chance of throwing out the target.

View attachment 1023968 View attachment 1023969 View attachment 1023970

Nice Finds! So what detector you using and what number did the ring give you? If you have VDI numbers that is....

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Finds! So what detector you using and what number did the ring give you? If you have VDI numbers that is....

AT Pro and the VDI was an 80.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You did a great job on that scoop , Jeremy:thumbsup:

LOrraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread