ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
wow boomer...............

Nice scoop..... I have been trying to think of ways I can build one effectively

Surfin

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I would drill alot of smaller holes on the bottom and the sides so the sand will clear out quicker,also this will help lighten the weight in the scoop.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, I Like It ! How much did it cost to make ? I Will be making one for Water Hunts, On Long Island New York. ;D ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8) 8) 8) 8)

OP
OP
E

el gringo

Aug 1, 2008
coin finder said:
Hi, I Like It ! How much did it cost to make ? I Will be making one for Water Hunts, On Long Island New York. ;D ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8) 8) 8) 8)
===============================================================================
The problem with pricing it as a D-I-Y project , is that one must buy a 10' length of P V C , then cut off a suitable
segment for the body . . . . This makes the initial cost for one quite high. A better arrangement is to produce 10 - 12
bodies per length ; that could be done for about $20.00 or so , each . Not considering the considerable amount of hand
modification necessary for drilling , shaping and assembling.

If I can interest enough people locally, I will begin producing them 10 or so at a time , for approx. $ 40.00, once I'm set up.

scoop-1-copy.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would drill alot of smaller holes on the bottom and the sides so the sand will clear out quicker,also this will help lighten the weight in the scoop.

My thought too about the holes. The ones with the screens work much faster in either the wet or dry sand.

Attachments

• 700mini.jpg
    700mini.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 579
  • 700mini.jpg
    700mini.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 586

Helmsman

Aug 4, 2008
Maitland, FL
Re: Homemade Scoop - DIY Websites

Hi all,

:icon_scratch: I was doing some reading here, and you all ought to check out instructables.com
I get a lot of ideas there on how to make my own gadgets and whatnots.

I intend to learn how to weld here shortly, and want to continue with the metal scoop traps.
But for the price, a PVC scoop is a good idea. One of the upsides is they shouldn't hurt the prize with the PVC, as opposed to say you were to hit it with the business end of the metal scoop. As well, with the PVC, I would take a grinder to the tip, and file it down a bit so it digs better. Or, cap it with some metal, and either bolt or rivet it to the PVC.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think everyone missed the big plus here...PVC, you can scoop pass your detector over it and see if its in the scoop all before you bring it above water. Now how long it holds up is the question. You can't leave it out in the sun at all. Keep me posted this is an idea we have been kicking around also, and I work for a plumbing wholesaler so material is not a problem with me.

Soverign#48

Jan 7, 2006
Saucier Mississippi
Nice job,
I have made many of these scoops out of PVC pipe and they work well. The more holes the better. The only problem I had was with the handles, I broke more than a dozen cranking back on the Mississippi mud while water hunting. I finally decided to have a stainless steel scoop made. Metal has it's own difficulties as your detector loves to find the scoop. The PVC scoop would allow you to coil check the scoop and see if the target was in the scoop and out of the hole. You should get in the water that is were all the nice treasure hides. hahah

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is one I hope to sell at Oregon coast.

Attachments

• scoopydoo.jpg
    scoopydoo.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 357
  • scoopydoo.jpg
    scoopydoo.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 277
OP
OP
E

el gringo

Aug 1, 2008
Here's another pic of my P V C scoop , along with a sales pitch .

If There's enough interest generated , I'll start making them 5 or 10
at a time ; for about $ 40.00 - in the Orlando area . . . .

scoop-1-copy.jpg

Reasons why this unit is a good buy

All plastic , stainless, or plated parts.

Can buy three of these , for one of the welded type.

All components are easily replaced , seperately .

All components are readily available at building
supply places , nationwide.

No brazing or welding equipment or skills needed.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right about the cost of basic materials.
Since you have to buy 10' lenghts of pipe and only need a little, why not make more and sell them.
The blue handle now, is that from a broom? {spendy for parts and fragile}.
I do like the idea of being all plastic so MD only sees treasure. (if there)
As for using it for a pry bar in heavy mud, I cannot see any scoop standing up to that.
But it can be done "for a few more dollars".
The point being - this is inexpensive, does the job on sandy beaches, is non metallic,
light weight, mostly easily replaceable parts, and floats.
Anyone can make these. They only require a saw, drill, and glue.
Oh, and some time. Uh, and materials that if only making 1 you have excess.
And a little skill with machinery and a place to work in...
Not everyone wants to do this.
Best wishes in your sales !

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
txkickergirl said:
I think everyone missed the big plus here...PVC, you can scoop pass your detector over it and see if its in the scoop all before you bring it above water. Now how long it holds up is the question. You can't leave it out in the sun at all. Keep me posted this is an idea we have been kicking around also, and I work for a plumbing wholesaler so material is not a problem with me.

Good call!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread