Homerun or foul

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a gamble today which I probably shouldn’t have what do you think of this artwork is it original or a fake I’m leaning toward original but I’ve never been real good at art work but I like to gamble too much Artist name is Nelson De La Nuez (ditching Dorothy)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522444658.233263.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522444670.897885.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522444683.548582.jpg

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the value but I would hang it on my wall! Cool Piece!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Good piece. I would have bought it! It is original and Dorothy and her crew are very popular in the gay community. The folks that buy a lot of art (in my opinion). I bought the piece below for less than $10 because it stood out and then I noticed hidden “items” in the scene. I knew it would sell. I think it went for $100 or more. You did good on that piece. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522490133.969460.jpg

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well one thing is for sure, it isn't one of his typical signed prints of the same.
https://webcache.googleusercontent....deo-nelsondelanuez+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
de-la-nuez-ditching-dorothy-signed_1_73796e8d8e0b49c5e6deae7ede0fb2dd.jpg

I called that place to the link king of pop art spoke with the lady there and as soon as I told her the name of the painting she knew exactly what it was but she could not give me a value without pictures so I try to send her some pictures and they didn’t go through I try to call her back and got no answer so I found a local dealer that had his art in his gallery and I sent him an email and he supposed to be getting a hold of Nelson and getting back to me I will update y’all when that happens The size of the paining is 25 x 19 One thing I did notice on this paining it is not numbered like some of his other artwork she also told me that some of this artwork when he was commissioned by Disney went on tour for display and she believed this might’ve been one of those pieces

Found this

2009 "Inspirations of Oz" Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-
Museums & Galleries, Los Angeles, CA
2009 "Inspirations of Oz" NY Plaza Hotel, NY Fashion Week, NY
2009 "Inspirations of Oz" Tavern on the Green, Emerald Gala/Auction, NY
2009 "Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Tour" Art Basel Miami, Miami, FL
2009 "Inspirations of Oz" Miami Children's Museum, Miami, FL

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've never been real good at buying stuff I'm not real sure about. But I hope it works out for ya.:thumbsup:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn’t do any searches for him, but looking now...yes, I think you did even better than I originally thought!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt. I doubt it's a fake. I believe it's either an original or a Giclee print.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the original to me. You can clearly see the paint strokes in the close up.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here’s an update on the paining just give you a little background how it all went down so as I said I spoke with the lady and she told me to go to the website and send her pictures of the painting well they would not go through so I try to call her back to see if there was another way to send her photos with no response and I sent her an email and never got a response so I waited until today And decided to call the local gallery that I emailed the photos to see if they heard anything about it and he told me that he spoke with Nelson’s wife and she was supposed to email me information about the paining I never received that email and he said he sent me an email and I never received that one he said he would forward me the email he got from her as he was hanging up the phone you can hear his aggravation here is the email he received in quotations will be what happened so I really don’t know what to think about this maybe I’m just overthinking about it from the rude attitude that I received

Hi
This guy called me twice last week.(once and left a message the second time)
I spent more than enough time talking to him on the phone about this piece of art which is very old and was sold in a cruise ship auction(never said it came from a cruise line auction). I gave him as much information as I could over the phone told him exactly what to do to try and get the best possible comp that he could via our website.
We did not directly sell these -
we sold these unframed in multiples to princess cruise lines -they were mono types hand embellished for the cruise lines many years ago - they framed them and sold them in auctions & they actually got quite good money for them ..I would say a few thousand but honestly I don’t know for certain what things went for and these were not sold directly from us we did not do framing on them - there’s a lot of variables with these so we prefer not to get involved with values and quotes. I told him that we stay out of the secondhand market & we do not like to quote pricing so we tell people how to look on our website and compare and come up with comps if that’s what they’re looking for.
He said he only paid $500 for it so he must’ve gotten it from estate sale or some random place because if he bought it directly from the auction he probably would’ve paid a couple thousand at least and I would think it would be more valuable in today’s market but it’s very hard for me to pull number out of my butt.
Nelson later went on to paint a slightly different original and limited editions of this one which was part of the 70th anniversary for Warner Bros. ..
But that was something in a different size and the image itself was created differently for them-that was the one that went on to become a USPS postage stamp. His was an earlier version.
It’s frustrating because I spoke with this guy for about 20 minutes (more like five minutes)and then he suddenly goes to a gallery and asked them about it?? (because she never returned my phone call or email)I’m not sure what he’s expecting...
The cruise line auctions also issued their own certificates of authenticity showing the year purchased and all that sort of stuff so we don’t have any knowledge of any of that information - this is also why we don’t get involved with any of those purchases -we were not the direct seller. All I can say is if he got this for $500 he got a good deal regardless.
Take care
have a good day!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Artists and their spouses can be finicky. Especially if they feel that their art ended up somewhere unappreciated. She gave he gallery more info than she gave you obviously. But regardless of her attitude, it was good info and he bottom line is, he painted it and it is valuable. And is an earlier version of a version that was put on a postage stamp...even better! Great score!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many serious art collectors and so called "connoisseurs" are just plain uppity snobs to begin wth. I have no quarter for holier than thou people with their nose held so high that if it rains they will likely drown.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread