Homesteading

Now that, my old friend, is a very good direction to go, GREAT saw buck!

I'm so old now I'd forgotten that term, saw buck.

But I ain't dead yet!

If I do die, I ain't telling any of you!

Keep the faith :)

Back a few month ago I picked up some heavy pallets. Your picture told me exactly what I'll do with two of them. I'd been sitting back looking, thinking about ideas for a "sawbuck".

Now I know exactly what I'm going to do, and it will work wonderfully :)

Or Bailey's sells these. Easy enough to make though.
Smart-Holder+Firewood+Holder_L.jpg

Back a few month ago I picked up some heavy pallets. Your picture told me exactly what I'll do with two of them. I'd been sitting back looking, thinking about ideas for a "sawbuck".

Now I know exactly what I'm going to do, and it will work wonderfully :)

The boards on the bottom make for a stable sawbuck. I stack 2 or 3 logs on top of one another. Being tall I also use a 36" bar, very comfortable for me. Also I use these products exclusively. OREGON brand products, chain saw chain and guide bars, accessories, and mower blades for homeowners
This town of mine was built on logging so I was taught the right gear to use. I have friends that are loggers, that helps when advice is needed.:icon_thumright:

I was up at 0500 this morning getting the wood stove going, It was 25 degrees outside. It's a lot warmer right now at 28.

So, here it is October the 19th and first fire of the season.

I expect to build that saw buck today! That'll make things a lot easier. My life is all about firewood again.

Did you put in that damper?

No, I got to thinking I was a farmer and ignored the stove till now. Next trip to Lowes, I"ll be putting in that damper.

I have the saw buck together except for bolting it together, and that happens tomorrow, had to go get the bolting for it. I'll take a picture and post it later tomorrow. First, I have to go to my brother's tomorrow, he had some big limbs fall over the Summer - and I get firewood. I have to do another burn in the morning, another night below 40 in store, and then mild for a few days according to the forecast.

I built my sawbuck out of 2 pallets and used it today, cool idea! Made short work out of some small stuff I'd have wasted gas on.

IMG_1121.JPG IMG_1123.JPG

Nice. Now get hoppin and get a few cords up.....:laughing7:

Oh yeah, that.... Had to go to town this morning. My brother has some downed limbs, some of them big and he needs them out of his yard. That was my plan for today. Alas, retirement still has a lot of unscheduled activities. I've been burning this my fourth day now. Gotta hit my brother's yard tomorrow = easy wood.

I just looked at the weather forecast for the next 10 days. If it holds out, I have the next 7 days without having to fire up the stove. Heading out to cut the wood at my brother's house today, I can pile it up!

And I still need to do a whole lot more work on my washed out bridge :(

Howdy Deep, I have been unloading my trailer load of wood all morning and should finish up soon. I'll run the trailer back down tomorrow to get it refilled. I'm burning kiln dried hardwood scraps from a furniture factory. $50 for a 16 x 6.5 x 4 trailer full. I've been burning this stuff for 15 years now but the factory is moving to N.C. soon. I've got enough for this year and part of next year. See you soon.

Have you tried the 460 yet, deep?

Not yet. Cousin Bill is coming up Wednesday, he's a Husky guy, wanted me to wait before I started it up.

I cut a truck load of wood at my brother's house day before yesterday. Cut it all up and stacked it yesterday. I have about a full cord stacked now. Got about another 3 truck loads remaining at my brother's. Replacing the clutch on my 16" Poulan toy, and have the Stihl up here to clean, flip the bar over, and sharpen the chain. That Husky is a mighty heavy beast compared to the other two.

The tree that landed on my bridge still partially blocks the bridge. I tried cutting it with my Stihl with new bar & chain. I don't know what kind of wood that is, but I couldn't even get through with the first cut before it dulled the chain and it started smoking. I was afraid it would burn up the bar - like the two bars I burned up last year - expensive replacements! That Stihl is a nice saw, but it's just not made for someone who heats exclusively with wood, and it sure wasn't made to cut that beast of a tree on my bridge!

Last edited:
Tree could be full of sand too.
Pumping a manual oilier enough to sling oil can help a bit, but cutting sand is harsh. Downed timber and contact with ground. Windblown sand into log piles...
If your big saw has dog teeth on it, (and it should) they become a big part of getting ahold of a log when cutting, and their leverage takes the fight off your arms.
A gentle rock of the saw, depending on bar oil flow can ..once teeth are engaged use your whole saws ummmph ability to really cut! In a manner foreign to tetter tottering a bar .

Saw weight is noticeable when starting a cut.
Once oil is flowing and teeth are engaged, you'll smile when rockin a cut.

Here's a cheap lookin way to speed things up...

Hi Deep, Your tree may be a sycamore. If so don't waist time cutting it for firewood because you will need dynamite to split it. Many years ago, a guy gave me a huge sycamore to cut up for firewood. I cut the whole tree and hauled a couple of loads home before I tried to split any. I loaded up everything that needed splitting and took it to the dump. I'll try to run by in the morning and take a look at it and see what it is.

Sad morning, my male cat passed away during the night. Not really sure of his age, but the vet said he was a very old cat. I adopted him in 2004 and his papers said he was 4 at the time. He was much older than 15, per the vet.

It's raining here this morning, and supposed to all day. I wanted to do some work on the bridge - that tree.

With the rain we had today, maybe that tree washed away. I went up to Floyd this morning and the small creek along Rt 8 in Woolwine was at the top of its banks and had undercut a power pole that fell and broke the lines. We got a lot more rain than predicted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back