Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know about that place though, people still live there. Me and my buds in high shcool used to go there. Everytime it rains bad, the river rises and floods the road into that place, making it kind of like a island. I would imagine that would be a great place to hunt, but its a religious community that keeps to it self, I don't think they would let anybody detect there. I could be wrong though.

Its cool though, its a community with a big church, lots of houses, right in the middle of the forest. It has been 10 years since I have been there, but I doubt anything has changed there...

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Just use the base url to go to the American memory site at the library of congress. They have awesome pics there of older eras. It looks like an MD'ing lovefest at that kind of spot.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok here it is:

click on the 1st link, then in the far right side surch box, copy and paste this: Methodist Camp des plaines
and hit surch.
That will bring you to the pic's. Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the place you speak of. . . unfortunately though, it's strictly "off limits" to MD (written in the resident by-laws).

bummer. . .

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured that was the case. From what I remember, they didn't like outsiders in there either. They stay to them selfs in their community in the woods. Its cool though, they hay tiny 1 lane roads and a whole lot of old wodden fancy houses. too bad about the no huntin...

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey Lowbatts,
Thanks for posting the great reference link. I checked it out and got lost on the American Memory site for a couple hours already. Looks like it will be useful for family tree research also.
Neil

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had permission to do it for about 2 hours back in 1986. My brother knew the care taker. After being there a while he came out and said he was sorry but a resident just reminded him that it was written in the by laws that no detecting is allowed. Can't wait til the city buys it and it becomes city property.. Hopefully in my life time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread