crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to take the time to post some information for veteran and novice detectorist. I always look forward to my next hunting spot. There are many out there you just have to do some driving and legwork. I realize that many of you are not afforded the opportunity to hunt country areas for various reasons. But if you live in the midwest or eastern states away from the large cities this might give you some ideas. I started at the local library. They had a wealth of material and data (micro films, newspapers from way back, etc) I found an atlas dated 1873. It was the surveys of local and state counties. It was the exact same atlas that Historicalmapworks.com was selling me for 10 dollars or more a copy. I copied them for 10 cents. I sat down on mapquest and by driving around my county comparing the maps. They were surprisingly very similar if not exact. All i had to do is write down the names of each county road. I highlighted potential spots for future investigation. Since most of the homes are gone and farming is king in Ohio I had no problem tracking down the farmers who own Lot's of land compared to early years. Most will not have a problem metal detecting a plowed field, as long as the crops are not in season. Hopefully this little bit of info will help some of you out who say there is no places to hunt. Most all of the old homes are gone and were built in the 1800's. What better place tan that!! Good luck

Here is what I have done to a plain map from the 1873 Ohio county platt recordings.

003-5.jpg

005-5.jpg

The place below is a place I just had permission to hunt. There were 2 structures there. Also found an old privy which we may did in the future.

004-5.jpg

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
This is pretty much exactly what I do also.
I laminate them when I'm done, so they'll last for years getting beat up in the car!
It's AMAZING how accurate the map makers were in the 1800's.
Sounds very similiar here about the farmers too.
I got permission to detect tonight from a guy who owns tons of farmland, which contained 2 old homesteads on the 1873 atlas, that are no longer there.
I can't wait to hit this area later this week.
It might keep me busy for a while!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Good going Ron!
Might wanna check the old papers there for the construction of those railroads, look for RR camps near old crossroads that are now gone also.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lowbatts said:
Good going Ron!
Might wanna check the old papers there for the construction of those railroads, look for RR camps near old crossroads that are now gone also.

Thanks LB. I know where one house is that housed the workers but getting to hunt that is probably not going to happen with the present owners

acehunter

Feb 2, 2009
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great information. Thanks, good luck.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
So how do you guys get permission from the farmers? I'm in the same boat as you appear to be (midwest, lots of old defunct "towns" that are now giant cornfields, etc.). There is a place about two miles from me that had 600+ people living there in 1830 that is now just rubble. I know exactly where the old general store used to be (it was still barely standing 30 years ago when I was just a kid).

I'm trying to figure out how to go about contacting the owners for permission. I don't want to blow my first big chance. Any tips on what to say or not say? Should I call, knock on the door, send a letter? Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

S

stefen

jb7487 said:
So how do you guys get permission from the farmers? I'm in the same boat as you appear to be (midwest, lots of old defunct "towns" that are now giant cornfields, etc.). There is a place about two miles from me that had 600+ people living there in 1830 that is now just rubble. I know exactly where the old general store used to be (it was still barely standing 30 years ago when I was just a kid).

I'm trying to figure out how to go about contacting the owners for permission. I don't want to blow my first big chance. Any tips on what to say or not say? Should I call, knock on the door, send a letter? Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Why make a big production out of something...

Its simple, take hat in hand and you walk up to the door and say hello, my names John Boy, and I'd like to talk to you about.....

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Its simple, take hat in hand and you walk up to the door and say hello, my names John Boy, and I'd like to talk to you about.....

Well that sounds obvious. But I would think that there would be ways to improve your odds. How often does walking up to a complete stranger's door and asking them if you can dig on their land actually work? How many people have been successful doing that? Don't most people find another "in" instead?

You can tell that I'm both green and skeptical. If someone came to my door and asked to dig in my lawn I'd call the cops. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread