Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New here to forum and have a question for you guys. I have never owned a Minelab machine and am a hair from buying my first. I have used and still own/use a couple of Tesoros. I have read myself to death about the Minelabs and I am pretty sure that I want an FBS machine. I understand that if you "want it all" you spring for the E-trac. But I am really leaning toward the Safari. Yes it has some to do with finances. I understand that many are EXTREMELY biased toward THEIR machine (Explorer..Etrac..Safari..etc.) So some honest opinions would be appreciated. Question is I guess......aside from a not very accurate TID screen with the info given, is the Safari a first class detector using the FBS technology. Not so much comparing it to an E-trac. If one learned to rely mostly on tone, is the Safari top shelf? Compared to most other NON multi-frequency detectors...does it have ability to really out perform if learned properly? Waiting for replies! Thanks!!! ;D

OP
OP
Tired Rooster

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(CRICKETS.......... :-\)

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari. Garrett 350
I own a Safari and I cant say enough good things about it. Its the same as an etrac without all the bells and whistles. I would suggest talking to Mike at Woodland detectors. He will give you a good deal.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Safari have the same brains like Explorer, the same deep and etc, but miss important things from explorer. Safary is very strange product based on explorer. My suggestion buy any used explorer they are now best for price, or used Etrac. New Safari is a bit expensive. Just looked what cost new Safari 999$! does it look cheap? no point to pay this money when good condition used explorer are 500$. if something will happen you will always can buy second one. But if you insist on NEW, buy Etrac, now its cheapest, fastest and easiest for use compared to old Explorer and strange Safari. Have all explorers and Etrac and I know what I say. Plus Dont listen Iron Pach :wink:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used both and honestly the Safari kept me saying ...if only... In other words its features take you to the brink but left me wishing it did what the Etrac and Explorer do. If you want to tone hunt but would like a digital display I would suggest a Sovereign GT with the Dig. Meter if you want as much info as possible presented to you go with the explorer or etrac...this is my experience and opinion of course as many love the Safari and feel it lacks nothing.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Safari is a great machine. Just doesn't give as much info or recover as fast in trash as the E-Trac. Feel free to contact me for info or a great deal! Thanks, Bart.

OP
OP
Tired Rooster

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys! The Sov. GT has been in consideration also. I'm gonna get me a Minelab.......JUST WHICH ONE :dontknow: So much info out there, but hard to decipher alot of it to make a decision. I guess like alot of other things. You just go with what you think you want and hope like heck it you still want it down the road. Thanks fellas!

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
You just go with what you think you want and hope like heck it you still want it down the road. Thanks fellas!
[/quote]
You can do like that, better to learn from other more experienced people and get detector where you can grow and be happy for longer. :wink:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well you asked this under the Minelab forum ......................All you will hear........... And all you did hear is how great Minelab is........................ All honest & stright shootin answers here...... No Bias here.....Ha Ha Ha ...... :laughing9: :laughing9:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have nothing bad to say about my Safari at all......

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold four different brand of detectors from 1998 to 2008 and the Explorer XS was the hardest to learn in trashy sites because of the multi tones but after slowing down my swing it was the only detector to use at trashy sites. The best coin finding detector I have used is the E-Trac only because I was able to master the Explorer XS and the Explorer II. I have used all of the Minelab detectors and the Explorer SE with the Pro coil or the E-Trac is the best at a trashy site with visible rusted crown caps and pull tabs all over the surface. I have hunted with many that had Safari detectors and after comparing a day of signals they will sell them. And also I had one Explorer SE buyer give up on it because he just couldn't help swinging the Explorer SE like he would swing his Toysoro. He ended up with a E-Trac which is more forgiving on a fast swing. The E-trac resets itself between targets much quicker than my Explorer II or SE. In trashy sites the E-Trac will sound off like a popcorn machine and I was still able to hear the difference in tones, it had great separation between targets. The Explorer II / SE seems to melts the tones together between close targets. I had very few faults highs if any. Every tone I heard I was able to make it repeat again and never had a tone signal that just disappeared. It did null some but it comes out of the nulls without having to stop my swing to regain the threshold. Only negative thing I can think of with the E-Trac is the factory coin program, it will not sound off on some of my silver half dollars but that can be modified and saved to a coin program. I sold my E-Trac because I believe in 2012 Minelab will have to come out with a upgrade model to the E-Trac, it has been around since summer of 2008. The E-Trac II with high tone in both Conduct mode and Ferrous mode.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own an X-Terra which has as many features as I need but the best thing I like is very light weight. With a smaller coil, as for prospecting, I can swing up and down hillsides without getting tired. With my MXT I needed a swingy-thingy to counter balance the detector weight while searching hillsides. Makes all the difference to me.

Less weight to carry, many coil & frequency options for whatever you hunt for. Hard to beat. IMHO
BB

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cuerno said:
I sold my E-Trac because I believe in 2012 Minelab will have to come out with a upgrade model to the E-Trac, it has been around since summer of 2008.

You really think so? I notice it is when a major competitor tips the balance. I see Garrett introduced a water proof unit. Other than that, what is the competition doing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread