Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thinking about selling some of my coins, nothing real special. What is the best way to find out if the local coins shop is honest? I do not have anything great but do not want to get taken advantage of what I do have. One of my thoughts was to know what I have and see what they would do, but I do not have that much. My best bet would be in volume. I have a lot of euro, couple of old nazi coins, V nickle, etc. Any suggestions would help. TIA.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If one of your local tv stations or newspapers does a best of list, I'd try the winner on that list to start. Otherwise if you know other coin collectors in the area, you could ask them. I personally like to shop local businesses, that way if I need to sell I've got a relationship with them already.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mzjavert said:
I personally like to shop local businesses, that way if I need to sell I've got a relationship with them already.

Great idea. I think that is what I will do, since I am not in a big hurry to part with the coins. Thanks

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another possibility is to look for a coin show in your area. You'll get to meet several dealers and collectors and can shop your coins around for the best price.

mope540

Jun 29, 2011
Yonder
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X1 probe, SEF 8X6 coil.

AT Gold, 5X8 coil, Garrett PP

Equinox 800, 6" coil

Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can search the completed ebay auctions for each particular coin you have. that could get you some ballpark figures

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Euros are just worth exchange value unless they are unc or commemorative (usually only silver or gold commems have any added value)

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
French Creek hunter said:
I may buy your collection depending on what you have..

Sent you a PM

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mope540 said:
you can search the completed ebay auctions for each particular coin you have. that could get you some ballpark figures

Exactly. The best way to find an honest dealer is to learn what you have so you can eliminate the bad ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread