Honest opinion, Detector Pro, or CZ-20

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
cz-20 over the detecter pro,excaliber over cz20.this is how I rate depth and ease of operation,I have a detector pro and 2 excalibers,and have used a cz20.

OP
OP
N

Noble Metal

Sapona, Thank You. How is the Excalibur doing through the months in any problems, because I would be doing any needed 'shipping' from the Philippines.

And Thank you my friend, your reply was what I needed...? ?

OP
OP
N

Noble Metal

Sandman, Wreckdiver 1715, and Sapona, what is your opinion of the difference in all between the Excalibur 1000 and the Fisher 1280X... depth in inches, gold discrim., etc... and Thank You and all very much...

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
for me,the Excaliber has a short learning curve.I like to use it in pinpoint mode.The difference in sounds and the depth are very noticeable and easy to distinguish.It will discriminate all iron if you want it to,but I like iron and prefer to look at it.Where I dive is very trashy also and what I like to do is go for objects close to the surface.The Excaliber has the best depth of any underwater machine I have used,but that ain't allways a good thing,It takes time and air to work a deep hole.Another spot I hunt has no trash and deep stuff as well,but I don't go for it unless it sounds real good.I have had no problem with my 2 Excalibers,1 is 5 years old,so I don't know about service,but I called a couple of times to ask about a modification I wanted to do and talked to a guy named Gus,very nice fellow.Oh yeah,the knobs are crappy,they go past the marks and the yellow inserts fall out,but it doesn't affect anything,just irritetes you.

gomerpyle

Jan 5, 2005
SE- Michigan
I am in the hunt for a new underwater machine myself. One thing I have found during my research is that the factory knobs on the ezcal are not the greatest. There really isn't a good hip mount for the excal if you want it. The battery is integrated so if you get a bad cell within the battery you have to dend it out for repair. CZ-20 has a drop in battery system that you can change, recharge on your own. I hear the depth is the same or really close. the CZ-20 is lighter and has a lifetime warranty. I think I am leaning towards the cz-20 or even the tiger shark by tesoro.

OP
OP
N

Noble Metal

In 2005, can I get any rechargable battery system for the Excalibur?

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
Kellyco sells a battery pack for the excaliber that takes AA batteries,so I would guess rechargeables would do fine.They also sell a rechargeable battery like the one that comes standard .

wallycoz

Oct 3, 2004
Biloxi, Mississippi
CZ-20!!!!! I have been using (OK so it borders on abusing) mine now for almost four years. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! Bought it new from Kellyco- 1)Price was right. 2)It would do what I wanted (underwater and rain). 3)Easy clean-up after beach or water day-fresh water hose down and dry it off. 4)Can't beat the Warranty! 5)Its a deep diggin' machine. I pulled an iron spike out of the high dry sand area of Boca Raton beach, just South of the inlet at damn near 3 FEET! My arms, head, and shoulders were in the rather large hole I had dug on this public beach and I was finally able to dislodge my "treasure". At first I thought it was a pc of re bar. But alas ye scoundrels, it was an iron deck spike from a mid to late 18th Century British vessel. Probably a smaller scout type. The truly amazing part of this tale is the fact that the spike was standing on its tip! It had come ashore still attached to the decking and when the wood rotted away, it left the spike standing upright. The original finder of this wreck Mr. Steven Singer(Shipwrecks of Florida), confirmed this for me personally. Does it find many rings at the beach? Silver-Yes. Gold-Not so many. That spike is worth all the wedding rings you can find(to me anyway).

Attachments

• Spike1.jpg
    Spike1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 267

wallycoz

Oct 3, 2004
Biloxi, Mississippi
Me again - I also forgot to mention that the CZ-20 control box can be attached to a belt or hand held on the stick. I have had my down over 20 feet in the Florida Keys - take it home and give it a bath and she's ready to go again. I have the 10 1/2" coil. It has its drawbacks being so large but, there are also positives - like great depth and large area coverage. The unit in salt water has just a small amount of negative buoyancy, which is nice if you are diving. My CZ-20 is like my wife! It takes a little time and work getting used to her, but once you get the hang of it, she's such a joy to be around-after 20 years, I'd say so! ;)

Things to consider:

How much $$$
What do you truly want the machine to do?
What are the usage conditions?
Coil size? Why?
Warranty

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a rechargeable battery pack for the Excalibur. The AA battery pack in not sufficient for underwater use. However, it works fine in the surf.

OP
OP
N

Noble Metal

Wreckdiver if I get a Excalibur 1000 coming what should I do in the order as to batteries and short stem etc., what and how should I be sure to order it. And THANKS...

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noble Metal, I ordered mine from Kellyco, and it came with the short rod (a must for SCUBA diving), as well as two battery packs. One was the rechargeable (with charger), and the other was the AA battery pack and a carry case. I have since purchased a second rechargeable pack as a spare for those long weekends out on the boat.

OP
OP
N

Noble Metal

Excalibur, What do you men do for a long shaft for beach or shallow water; where did you buy, and am assuming that long shaft is an extra purchase?, the short shaft only being what is shipped with the machine stock, is that true?...

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Negative Noble Metal, sorry about that. I meant to say that the Excalibur comes with the long shaft as standard. However, Kellyco included it (the dive shaft), free with my purchase, along with a few other thing like the soft carry case and a hand held pin pointer.
I just went over to the Kellyco page http://www.kellycodetectors.com/minelab/excalibur-accessories.html under accessories; I see that they have dive shaft assembly that looks like they are including the new balanced shaft assembly. I would be interested to know if anyone is using the balanced shaft, and how well it performs over the standard shaft, especially in diving conditions.

C

curtnc

The CZ-20 has an extendable shaft that can be used on land or diving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions