Hooked on CRH - Thanks! :)

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started reading this forum yesterday morning and went out at lunch to the nearest bank to find rolls of half dollars/dollars. Not really sure how to ask for what I wanted I walked in confidently and asked the teller if they had any silver dollars or half dollars. At first the teller looked at me like I had spoken in a different language. After asking politely two more times, she proceeded to pull out a roll of Sacagawea Dollars. As she held up the roll I started shaking my head. I asked one more time if they had any of the coins and could tell that she was getting annoyed. Disappointed I left the bank and began to ponder how I was going to get a hold of some coins. Today during lunch I had to go pick up my 2 year old from his pre-school. The only thing on my mind was finding these coins. As I was passing a bank that I don’t have an account at a unique idea hit me. Take my 2 year old in the bank with me and ask nicely. As I walked into the bank I picked the cute teller behind the desk and made sure to have my son in my arms. When I politely asked her if they had any halfs/silver dollars she was a lot more receptive than the previous teller I had dealt with. To make a long story short, I was able to get 2 rolls of halfs and when I got home I cracked them open and each one had a 40% Kennedy in it. Nothing great but it made my day today. This Saturday I will be searching every bank within a 20 mile radius of my house... :)
My father used to CRH when he was in his 20's and always got his paycheck in coins every week. He has quite a collection of silver that I hope he passes on to my kids some day.

Attachments

• IMG00018-20090813-1446.jpg
    IMG00018-20090813-1446.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
AGCoinHunter said:
This Saturday I will be searching every bank within a 20 mile radius of my house... :)

Hmmmmm, guess your Banks wherever you is are open on Saturday, here where I am all but a very few are closed & those VERY few that are open are only so half a day.

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most are open half day. Gotta get up and start early.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Drop the silver from the question. When asking for the individual rolls, you've already decided to take your son in your arms. You should play up the angle even more and sound a bit more naive. Ask for half dollars or big dollars. Take whatever they offer you. If it is clad, take it. You'll likely end up with only clad Ikes when asking for the "Big" dollars, but you might get lucky with the occasional Peace, Morgan, even a Silver Eagle. Be sure to check the Ikes for the 40% silvers. If they ask why, tell them you are putting the coins away for your little boy so that when he turns 18 he'll have a little nest egg. You might get nothing but persevere. Be consistent with your efforts. Make your rounds twice a month (at least). When they get some "Big" dollars, they will hold them for the nice lady with the cute boy.

Take your time and read through the past posts and soak up the advice. There is a correct way to CRH and a wrong way. Good luck and happy hunting.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy,

I've been lurking again, keeping up with the posts, but haven't had time to write. I've been too busy moving and job hunting to CRH. The wife and I packed up and moved from Paintsville. I haven't posted in a while because I haven't been hunting, but I thought I should for this one.

I'm a newbie as well, but that's some good advice Mr. Down. NEVER utter the word "silver". Only "halves and large-size dollars". Use the "nest-egg" bit or say you're trying to fill an album.

I've had good luck at the banks that will empty the counting machines for me. Most times they won't, but occasionally they will. I buy all that they have loose, and then say, "I was hoping for more than that. You don't have a counting machine with some in it do you? I'll buy them all to make it easy on you." That's worked a couple of times.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

ps My wife found our first Walker just before we moved.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You say you are addicted to CRH, but yet you passed on coin? You were offered the small dollars. You should have taken them. I wouldn't suggest you start searching the boxes of small dollars, but there is indeed treasure to be found. One thing to consider is that the small dollars were/are not a big hit as far as a circulating denomination. Hence, you will find coins that are almost uncirculated. Looking through the coins you might be fortunate to come across some gems. Take for instance the 1979 P Wide Rim Susie B. In a mint state condition, it fetches $20. I have assembled rolls of almost uncirculated wide rims for sale on eBay on occasion. Depending on the bidding, they can fetch between $6-8 each. You can also stumble upon some uncirculated Sacajawea coins. After 2001, they have some very low mintages and fetch a premium by collectors. 2 months ago, I came across some original mint wrapped rolls of Sacs that have been collecting dust in the teller's safe.

Worst case scenario is that you have coin at face value to spend as tips and for meals. Never turn down an opportunity. You never know where treasure lurks.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I agree Never say "Silver Dollars" Use the term Big Dollar Coins. Silver will get you the old rolling of the eyes look. Most tellers who know a coin is silver will not sell them to you So don't educate the tellers.

As far as using the kids on a hunt. Bad Idea from the stand point of having to drag them in & out of 20 banks. I would say that's borderline child abuse. I have kids and would never plan a hunt with the Little ones. Not saying I haven't been to a couple stops with them just never plan to take them on a specific hunt that includes more than 4 stops. They end up getting tired and you will have to cut it short. I sometimes get grief from the wife & kids if I stop at even 1 bank.

I know you did not specifically say you were gonna take them, just that they were with you the one time. But if it is in your plans I would advise against it. Unless they are over 10 yrs old and will enjoy the time spent with you.

Mojo

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Is that you in your Avatar? What does your shirt say? Any wayz congrats on your finds and welcome to the addiction.

GoldenSilver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
FingerGrime said:
Golden Silver, I was just wondering that myself. And if i'm not mistaken it says "I wish these were brains". lol :laughing7:

If those were brains she'd be a pretty smart girl.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread