Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$4.17 in clad

A cool money clip from the western movie Hopalong Cassidy. I haven't cleaned it up yet but looks to be in good shape. The glass is still in there. I might just use it!

I have what assume is a coin, but it's got so much gunk on it, I don't know the best way to clean it, in case it's a half cent or something. Should I soak it or take a toothpick to it?

20170721_192401.jpg
20170721_192248.jpg
20170721_192332.jpg

Thanks for checking out my day!

Upvote 26

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That IS a very cool money clip, and of course again Mackaydon & vpnavy are always a good source of information.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That IS a very cool money clip, and of course again Mackaydon & vpnavy are always a good source of information.

I agree with sprailroad on all!!! :icon_thumright: Congrats on the great find!!!

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great find. Looks to be in good shape. Happy Hunting

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im surprised there is not more Hopalong stuff found, it was pretty popular in its day. Nice find!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That money clip is a sweet find.
Brings back some memories of the Saturday morning TV shows. Hopalong Cassidy, Tales of Texas Rangers, Sky King, etc. The old black and white TV kept the kids entertained.
Congratulations on a sweet find.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone calls this thing a money clip. I have a hard time excepting that it is, but I really can't find any proof otherwise.
Here is my argument
A) Seems to me this thing was made to clip on your belt. You used it to find secret code through the window. They called it a Vectragraph?
B) The clip is way to short to hold folding money securely, What kid in the 50's had any folding money? It would be like "Here's a money clip for all that cash you wish you had" Shoot in the 60's I was excited to have a marble and a nickel
Anyway my 2 cent speculation I can't find the toy listed other than eBay and easy and they all say money clip. I digress

BTW Cool find! Did anyone here own one of these?

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My husband was obsessed with cowboy toys back in his day, especially anything he could attach to his six shooter belt,what a great find!

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decoder badge

Everyone calls this thing a money clip. I have a hard time excepting that it is, but I really can't find any proof otherwise.
Here is my argument
A) Seems to me this thing was made to clip on your belt. You used it to find secret code through the window. They called it a Vectragraph?
B) The clip is way to short to hold folding money securely, What kid in the 50's had any folding money? It would be like "Here's a money clip for all that cash you wish you had" Shoot in the 60's I was excited to have a marble and a nickel
Anyway my 2 cent speculation I can't find the toy listed other than eBay and easy and they all say money clip. I digress

I agree. I don't think it's a money clip either. I believe it was meant to clip on a shirt pocket. It seems decoder badges were the thing in the atomic age. Even more puzzling than the question of why kids would need a money clip in those days is why a fictional cowboy needed a decoder.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic old relic find, congratulations! :occasion14:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! BTW the coin is a Lincoln cent; soak it in warmed hydrogen Peroxide to clean it.

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my argument

I'm sure you're right. Google search results called it a money clip, but it is pretty small, and I don't see the point of the glass if it was.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool find on the Hoppy relic. Love the old black & white era TV treasures.:headbang:

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool to bad there weren't really old bills in it. there could have been then just rotted away.... Great find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread