Hope to Post Some Great Pics Soon!

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
At first, my heart sank when I ran into someone walking 'my honey hole' last week. But then we struck up a conversation, and I have a feeling he is going to be a life-long friend/mentor. He's in his 60s and we haunt a lot of the same places. He has a 30 year jump on me. We've spoken on the phone twice since, and he invited me over tonight to see his collection. I can't wait! From the sounds of things, it will be incredible. If he doesn't object, I'll snap some pics to share.

Upvote 0

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember, the old guys have been around. I have been hunting them since I was about 10. at 71, I have hunted in many different places and states!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree take away 50 years of the plough and there are some nice uns. Best found collections I have seen are by the ole timers. Look forward to what he has to share.
TnMtns

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
Also... When that ole boy shows you his stuff, ask HIM what he thinks they are, just to get the nomenclatures of what they called them back then! :icon_thumleft:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Maybe it's a question of perspective, but a 60 something year old collector isn't old enough to have put together an "old time" collection.

It is fascinating how some sites continue to produce relics even after decades of hunting pressure. I have seen some "played out" site that get better when the farmer changes crops/equipment and the plow moves the dirt differently. (The switch from a regular plow to a Chisel plow, etc.)

OP
OP
Hutch in PA

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
I had a great visit with him. His collection is as good as they get here in PA. Thousands of artifacts in just about every category. He was a wealth of information. Should probably clarify he's in his very early 60s...could probably outwalk 90 percent of those younger than him. In other words, 'old guy' doesn't fit. We discussed plans to meet up for a dig very soon. We definitely cover a lot of the same ground. I did get one picture (but it doesn't do his collection justice). However, I didn't ask if it was OK to post on the web. I will email him today and see if he minds. Thanks for the interest. I think we both enjoyed connecting with a local that shares the passion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread