Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no expert, but to me it looks like a reproduction as the details seem to be quite sharp. I'll let some of the experts weigh in and see what their verdict is. Did it come out of the ground that clean?

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where did you find it? That often tells much of what you need to Gauge the authenticity.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Eric said the details are almost "too" sharp, looking almost indian instead of spanish.

The outside shape is cob like, but other than that this "coin" has no resemblence to a real cob.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately not even close. Modern fake cob is I guess what they were going after. If it's fairly big probably an 8 reale.

Last edited:

Southie E.J.

May 16, 2011
South Boston Ma
Detector(s) used
WHITES COINMASTER, MINELABS 705, and ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im the friend who hunted with him when he found it. I think its a 2 reale. pretty much the size of a quarter. It did come out clean, and the detail is very nice, but it does happen sometimes, but I do see how it could be a fake. I hope not. I was real happy for him. Well if it is at least its silver.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't everyone see something like this berfore and one of the experts said you can see the fuzzy cast impressions on it and there is a rim running around the coin that was put there so you could make it into a pendant. Or something like this. So I vote fake because of that earlier education on TNet.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im the friend who hunted with him when he found it. I think its a 2 reale. pretty much the size of a quarter. It did come out clean, and the detail is very nice, but it does happen sometimes, but I do see how it could be a fake. I hope not. I was real happy for him. Well if it is at least its silver.

There's zero chance it's genuine (There's a whole list of problems), and close to as bad of odds for being anything other than silver plated. It's a great day when the real ones come out, still a rush to dig that one I'm sure, but it is what it is, and that's a modern fake. It's not even one you have to look at for more then 1 second if you're used to seeing a lot of real ones.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's zero chance it's genuine (There's a whole list of problems), and close to as bad of odds for being anything other than silver plated. It's a great day when the real ones come out, still a rush to dig that one I'm sure, but it is what it is, and that's a modern fake. It's not even one you have to look at for more then 1 second if you're used to seeing a lot of real ones.

PS: If you look around the net a bit you can probably find a match.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been digging them at the beach. Souvenir shops sell them to kids and they lose them on the beach. I now carry one when I go to The beach And when people ask if I found anything I show them my pirate treasure.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, as Iron Patch said, absolutely a copy/replica and not a good one at that. I knew it was not genuine within a second of seeing the photos above.

Your next one will be the real deal!

Cheers,

Buck

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, i definitely agree with what those above had said. The rim makes it super obvious to me, you never see that on most genuine older coinage

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! Best wishes!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly a copy as others say & a bad one at that, still better than a clad penny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread