Hoping to do the good deed in the AM

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
As I was busy hunting in what used to be an old park (now private and soon to be developed) a fellow walked up after stopping his truck and started conversing about my detecting. I was originally a bit concerned that he might have something negative to say about my hunting there even though I had checked with the nearest neighbor before doing so. As it turned out, he asked me if I could come to his house and search for a diamond ring his wife lost 4 years ago while washing her car in the front yard.

Of course I agreed to try and followed him to his place which was just down the road from my location. It was quite late in the day when this occurred and quickly getting dark. He pointed out the general area that his wife had been washing the car in and it is all dirt with sparse grass which is good. As soon as I starting sweeping, the machine was hitting on all kinds of stuff but I kept it on all metals. Dug a couple of pull tabs and the mosquitoes started coming out pretty bad so I had to knock off.

I plan to go back tomorrow and try again.

I have never found a ring. This one is supposed to be gold with a small stone. Those of you with more experience that can lend any advise please feel free to post. I know I will be looking for hits from everything from a pull tab to a penny, but is there any more sure way to tell if it is a hit on gold. I am using a Garrett 1350 with ear phones. The other thing is the amount of time that has passed since the ring was lost. Not to sure about my chances at this point. Thanks.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Depending on the depth and angle of the ring, it could read anywhere on the scale. I've found good stuff in the foil range as well, so don't discount that either. Just grid out the area and work slowly. Heck, it might not even be there. They could have lost it somewhere else and not realized it. Best of luck!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If she lost it there is should still be there. I found a ring that was losted for 12 years for a person. She lost it when she was around 16 and I found it for her. You will need to dig everything foil and tabs. Good luck......Matt

OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Thank you. Worked for 2 hrs today until the boss lady called me home. And yes I dug every piece of foil, bottle cap, pull tab and hot wheel car that had been left in the area I checked. Even found a window crank for a '57 Chevy. After further interviews, I learned that they felt I should check an area just a few feet east of where I had started. Gonna try to do that in the morning if can get away from the house. If not, then as soon as time and honey do's permit, ha. Will advise on results. At least we have great weather in west central Florida right now.

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
Don't give up. Had a friend that lost his class ring 50 years ago in the yard of the house that I now live in. Looked for that ring for two years and one day out of the blue got a nice signal and out of the gorund pops his ring!! Looked as new as the day he lost it.

OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Well, the hunt today was negative. may try again later.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: Good luck and don't give up, our fingers and toes are crossed that you will find it soon!!!! :icon_thumright:

S

stefen

Also might want to check out the path from the hose bibb to the car washing spot...could have dropped it anywhere...

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
About 5 years ago a fella where my wife worked asked if I would look for a ring his father had left him. It had been lost for two years.

After he described the ring I figured it would show up as a pulltab as it was very large. He felt it would be in the back yard as he noticed it was gone after coming in the the house from that area.
I spent a day and a half looking in his back yard as he had a lot of back yard cook outs. I dug close to a hundred pull tabs, (he loved his beer). I dug nothing but pull tab readings.

I asked if there was any other area he frequented and he said he often took trash out back of his garage. I went back there and the second reading I got produced his ring.

He was beside him self with joy and said the ring would be put in a lock box and never wore again. He asked what he owed me for my time and I told him to buy me a couple cases of beer. He also had a back yard barbecue for us to celebrate.

He was a lucky guy as I was about to give up on it.

Good luck finding the guys ring. It can be a flustering effort. Rick :coffee2:

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
About 5 years ago a fella where my wife worked asked if I would look for a ring his father had left him. It had been lost for two years.

After he described the ring I figured it would show up as a pulltab as it was very large. He felt it would be in the back yard as he noticed it was gone after coming in the the house from that area.
I spent a day and a half looking in his back yard as he had a lot of back yard cook outs. I dug close to a hundred pull tabs, (he loved his beer). I dug nothing but pull tab readings.

I asked if there was any other area he frequented and he said he often took trash out back of his garage. I went back there and the second reading I got produced his ring.

He was beside him self with joy and said the ring would be put in a lock box and never wore again. He asked what he owed me for my time and I told him to buy me a couple cases of beer. He also had a back yard barbecue for us to celebrate.

He was a lucky guy as I was about to give up on it.

Good luck finding the guys ring. It can be a flustering effort. Rick :coffee2:

I was just going to nominate this story for honorable mention but then I saw in the terms and conditions that payment received in beer disqualifies it..... LOL JK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions