Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Chinese knock-off Lesche digging tool/knife was starting to bend when I would pry out a plug. Knowing it would not last very much longer, I went to the web to find a good deal on a Lesche digger. In the process, I spotted a Japanese Hori Hori knife (not Hari Kari, ;D) used for gardening, bonzai plants, digging and metal detecting accessory......thought I would give it a try for $26. It came today, the blade is very stout and 'hurt yourself' sharp! Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but, it seems to be just what I wanted for digging plugs. Will let everyone know how it works out.....if it doesn't work out, may have to buy the Lesche anyway:

Tool/knife in sheath (sheath is not leather, it is heavy vinyl backed with cloth):

hori2.jpg

Concave side of blade, note serrated edge on one side and straight edge on the other (VERY sharp!):

hori3.jpg

Convex side of blade:

hori1.jpg

This thing should be ideal for cutting a plug, especially, after I wrap the handle with grip tape. I am using the sheath that came with my Kellyco cheapo, the sheath that comes with the knife does not have a large enough hole to accommodate my tool belt. Of course, I could have 'rigged' something to carry it and will eventually have to, as I am sure this knife will cut through the nylon sheath before long.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
That's a serious digger! I have been lookin at something similar made by treasure wise. Be careful with that beast. That serrated edge looks like it could ruin your day very fast. I would be fashioning some sort guard for the blade.

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
That`s a cool digger Roland.
I`m going to look around the hardware stores for something similar.

East Texas boy, eh?
I grew up about 40 miles south of DFW. I used to love going to East Texas for fishin when I was in High School. I used to do lake caddo. Good memories.
Happy hunting bro
dave

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the Treasure wise knives are great. I have two of them and a Lesche and I always reach for the Treasure wise. The Lesche is good, but I really prefer the Treasure wise for cutting plugs and enlarging relic hunting holes.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BamaBill said:
the Treasure wise knives are great. I have two of them and a Lesche and I always reach for the Treasure wise. The Lesche is good, but I really prefer the Treasure wise for cutting plugs and enlarging relic hunting holes.

Anyone know where the Treasure Wise knife is made? I finally found a decent picture of it and the ad only said that the sheath was made in the USA, I'm guessing the knife comes from China? Bama, have you had any problem with the blade trying to bend back? While prying a plug, my Kellyco cheapo has begun to bend and I have had to straighten it a number of times. Of course, with each straightening, it becomes weaker and easier to bend. This knife I just got is very stout and I seriously doubt I will have a problem with it bending.

Yeah, Dave, I have been here since early '78 (had to get out of Houston,
yuck.gif
). Probably should have retired further NE for better hunting grounds! But, that's ok, I can hunt all year here.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking digger, I still prefer the Lesche over just about anything out there, I keep mine sharp, it fits the hammer loop of my bib overalls perfectly.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Treasure wise diggers I have say made in Italy and no I have had no problems with them bending. I like them better than the Lesche because it seems that the saw edge on the Lesche gets hung up on things when digging. But that has just been my experience and I know a lot of people like the Lesche better than anything their using. I have no financial interest in any of this and am just going on my experience.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out with the "knife" today for a couple of hours. First off, the handle leaves a lot to be desired. That may be because I have a badly bruised palm, but, the handle could use some good padding. I have a roll or two of 'live rubber' tape that makes for a very good tool grip, will try wrapping it before my next outing. On the good side, cutting a plug was almost effortless, probably due to the sharp edges and the blade penetrated fairly hard dirt easily. Rocking the handle side-to-side, severed any small roots and larger ones were easily dispatched with a little sawing motion using the serrated edge. There was never any feeling of slipping my hand down to the blade, however, I may fashion a guard just to be on the safe side.

Overall rating, 7 out of 10 and this because of the handle. Once that is fixed, the rating will go up. I just wish I had a Lesche to give everyone and myself, a true comparison.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Roland that is very serious looking knife!

I know people mentioned guards, but I kinda didn't truly think about it now until you said---my hand might slip down the handle......wow, I didn't think of that....slipping down that handle onto that knife edge would be just :'(

I will have to think careful on these knives for me for cutting---I am the type to cut off fingers.

you sure got me thinking

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would not be difficult to fashion a guard to prevent your hand from slipping onto the blade. When I get mine completed, I'll send a 'how-to' with pics.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After a number of hunts using the Hori Hori knife for a digger, I remain most impressed. I have not had to dig any bone dry, rock hard, red clay as yet, but, anything short of a backhoe has trouble with that! As much as I like this digger, the handle still left a lot to be desired. Today I went by one of the local motorcycle dealers and purchased a set of foam grips. I couldn't find the ones I had in mind, however, I thought I could make these work......and they did.

The foam grip is mounted on a plastic tube that is made to fit on a handlebar. I removed the foam portion by rolling it from one end to the other.....much like the reverse procedure for a 'prophylactic' device. (couldn't think of any other way of explaining it). Anyhow, with the foam grip rolled into a ring shape, apply some heavy dish soap/water mix as a lubricant to the exposed portion of the 'ring' and the end of the knife handle. CAUTION!: For the next step, the knife should be held in a vise, or inserted between the boards of a picnic table, or, at the very least, tightly wrap the blade with a number of layers of cloth and tape in place. You do NOT want your hand slipping down on the blade!!. With lubricant applied, begin pushing the foam 'ring' onto the end of the handle. This will be difficult, but, it can be done with some effort. I made sure to leave a little of the grip extending past the end of the knife handle to provide a pad when I am applying pressure with my palm. Once the foam ring is started in the right position, simply wrap your fingers/hand around the ring and push downward, unrolling the grip onto the handle of the knife. The end result is a wonderfully padded handle.

Bike Master grip kit with one grip already on the handle of the knife:

gripkit1.jpg

This pic shows the end of the plastic tubes, one with the foam still on and the other one with the foam removed:

endview.jpg

This shows the end of the knife handle down inside the foam grip, providing some padding for applying pressure:

gripend.jpg

My application would have been much easier had I removed the grip tape from the knife handle before installation of the foam. In fact, with just the foam grip properly lubricated, it could probably be worked onto the handle with some pushing and twisting (WITH THE BLADE GUARDED!). I actually used a product called Ruglyde, which is a rubber lubricant used for mounting tires. It turns tacky after drying holding a tire bead, or, in this case, the foam grip in place. I didn't fashion a blade guard, even though I probably should have.....I'll just be careful in the meantime.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used both Lesche and Hori diggers and you can't beat the Hori for cutting
sharp plugs in manicured grass. Your bike-grip idea is a nice design improvement
and should work well for your Hori. . . and other diggers as well.

A word of caution:
Just be carefull when digging in frozen or hard ground. I say this from experience
because my Hori's blade snapped in half when I was prying out a plug from frozen
ground. These blades will snap before they bend.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
" These blades will snap before they bend."

Thanks for the warning, but, not much worry of that here. I have only seen the ground freeze one time and that was in '86........I think winter was on a Thursday that year. ;D

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DirtDiggerDaveinMD said:
That's a serious digger! I have been lookin at something similar made by treasure wise. Be careful with that beast. That serrated edge looks like it could ruin your day very fast. I would be fashioning some sort guard for the blade.
here , :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:here

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great work on that handle.
I enjoyed seeing how you went about fixing it up for yourself!!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tennis racket replacement grip would work well. You can get it in tacky and it provides good moisture control. Just a thought.....

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I know someone else who puts a bicycle handle grip on his digging tool.

I should try it with mine. By the way, Kellyco changed their Gator Digging tool. I just got mine replaced, the new one has a little more of a curve and is thicker. Very strong now but might be a little harder to push into the ground. I am going to sharpen the edges on mine a bit and put a grip on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions