horn coral crinoid ? any experts?

bedwards

Dec 6, 2006
This was found in eastern Tennessee By a family friend about 20 years ago. My parents were visiting friends and seen this on their porch. They did not know what it was. They had found it in the hills. They gave it to my parents to give to me. I have wondered for a long long time what it was. Someone on another message board said it was a fossilized crinoid. I saw a picture of a crinoid that looked very similar to what I have. Someone else on that board said that it is a horn coral and that it is very very old and a very nice example because it was preserved as a cluster. Are there any fossil experts in the house?Can anyone here determine exactly what this is , species, period, possibly how old it is?
Thanks for looking. Bed
march0407056.jpg

march0407055.jpg

Sorry for the low quality pics.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Size? Toss a quarter in, hold it in your hand or lay a ruler beside the object for a relative size comparison. Size matters.

Looks like a Syringophora "colony" (A single horn coral is still a colony, but they don't cluster - hebce the name "horn").

Syringophora (Silurian to Lower Permian)
Syringopora_1b_small1.jpg

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
You been Scuba diving above water again. LOL

I love finding fossils while I'm out on a sunny day enjoying nature.

Good find.

Burt

raunchydawg

Apr 23, 2007
That appears to be a colonial coral and I have several specimens of various size and shape one specimen I have weighs around 60 to 70 lbs.raunchydawg
bedwards said:
This was found in eastern Tennessee By a family friend about 20 years ago. My parents were visiting friends and seen this on their porch. They did not know what it was. They had found it in the hills. They gave it to my parents to give to me. I have wondered for a long long time what it was. Someone on another message board said it was a fossilized crinoid. I saw a picture of a crinoid that looked very similar to what I have. Someone else on that board said that it is a horn coral and that it is very very old and a very nice example because it was preserved as a cluster. Are there any fossil experts in the house?Can anyone here determine exactly what this is , species, period, possibly how old it is?
Thanks for looking. Bed
march0407056.jpg

march0407055.jpg

Sorry for the low quality pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread