Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since things are a bit slow here this time of year I thought I'd post this horse liniment bottle. I dug it a year or so ago in a small dump on some land my dad owns. Unfortunately, it is cracked. :'( It reads "SAVE-THE-HORSE REGISTERED TRADEMARK SPAVIN REMEDY TROY CHEMICAL CO, BINGHAMTON, NY"

I'm not a horse person so I had to look up the definition of "spavin."
•a swelling of the hock joint of a horse; resulting in lameness

Any guesses on its age? I talked to Al at Prostock and he said that a large number of the early bottles were made in NY.
And now for the rest of the story: I have several brothers (six, to be exact) and they all live in SW MI, except for one who lives in NY. My brother who lives in NY lives right outside of Binghamton. So, when I saw the name on the bottle it was a neat coincidence since we've driven through Binghamton numerous times when visiting them.

Thanks for looking and HH,
Michiganne

Attachments

• treasure 2010 007.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2010 007.jpgcomp.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 326

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Nice bottle. :thumbsup: I have never seen that one before. If the mold seam runs over the top to the opening it's a machine made bottle, so that would make it after 1915 give or take a couple of years. With the registered trademark on it I think it's from the midteens to 1920's. I think Dr. Killmers was in Binghamton Ny. too.

Wolverine.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to find out more about the bottle, there is a bottle club, they hit the areas from just north of Binghamton to around the Scranton Pa area (including the Dallas, Pa area). They advertise bottle shows and swaps every couple of months in the Binghamton newspaper and the Scranton Newspaper.

When they are up in the Bingo area - ask your brother to take it - between all those guys there, they can tell you its whole life. They are a great bunch - they buy, they sell, they give out info, do appraisals, the whole bit. (no charge).

B

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
If you want to find out more about the bottle, there is a bottle club, they hit the areas from just north of Binghamton to around the Scranton Pa area (including the Dallas, Pa area). They advertise bottle shows and swaps every couple of months in the Binghamton newspaper and the Scranton Newspaper.

When they are up in the Bingo area - ask your brother to take it - between all those guys there, they can tell you its whole life. They are a great bunch - they buy, they sell, they give out info, do appraisals, the whole bit. (no charge).

B

Thanks for the tip. :icon_thumleft:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat bottle. I think I can see the mold line over the top. Post 1890, probably early 1900's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread