Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on a park that was built in the 50's. Prior to that the area was all farmland like 1940 and before. I found this by a tree with my beeper. It has taken nearly an hour of a toothbrush and water to get it this clean. Any ideas on what would clean it further without destroying? I think its brass of some sort. It appears to have a rams head on it... you can definitely see the horns. I honestly have no clue anything of actual names of old farm equipment... but doesnt it look like something where a horse would attack to an old fashioned plow or something?

Any ideas?? I cant believe someone hasnt dug this thing up already... I thought it was very cool :)

Iron Thing 2.jpg
Iron Thing 3.jpg
Iron Thing1.jpg

It fits in my hand, but it weighs a TON.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
GAHHHH!!!! I now know 100% what the mystery item is!!!!! Creskol, you had the pivot function correct, the metal insert correct, clamp correct.

Today i went out to eat with my grandpa... I figure hey why not bring it along and ask if he knows what it is. He grew up on a farm and now owns a few greenhouses. I asked "Hey Opa do you have ANY idea what this is?".. he pauses for maybe 3 seconds... "Well, yeah. Its a piece of a Sickle Blade mower that was used to cut hay" WHATTT?! How the?! He then explained the blade would get inserted through there, screwed in, and the head part (by the way those arent horns) was the attachment to the blade and the arms then rested on each other. He knew INSTANTLY! I did some googling and couldn't find an EXACT match, but you can definitely tell that it is a piece of a Sickle Blade. Here is a reference pic with the same arms and attachment piece.
View attachment 814054

Not to dispute your grandpa, but having been on a farm for 60+ years, I have changed a many a sickle bar blades and guards, but have never seen any with guards like that. I have serious doubts about that ID.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would like to see a matching pic or circle the similar item in red or something.

Are you referring to one of these?

Attachments

• sickle_blade.JPG
    sickle_blade.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 52
  • sickle blade sm111B.jpg
    sickle blade sm111B.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread