Smith & Hopkins flat button

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this between two large tree roots today.. I believe it's from the 1830-1840's still has a lot of gold gilting on the front and the shank is intact.. If you know anything about it please let me know.. After finding a pocketfull of junk I got a jumpy one at a base of a large tree... Digging iffy signals with the 12x15 on my Etrac paid off..

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 173

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smith & Hopkins was a rare button maker that worked out of Connecticut during the 1830's-1860's! Rare meaning not much info on company and not many buttons found with Smith & Hopkins! Great find!

Read Creskols info below!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but, wouldn't this button be better described as a two piece button? And, being a two piece wouldn't it date to the 1840's at the earliest? I ask this because I am trying to learn and Y'all are the best teachers a guy could want. I think it is a very nice find and in very good condition.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cosmic

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one piece flat button.. Two piece have a seperate front and back pressed together..

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fyrfftyr1 is correct, it is a 2-piece flatbutton. That type is rare because they were only manufactured for a short period of time, approximately the late-1820s through 1830s. They are so rare that many diggers have never seen one... and thus can be excused for thinking that type doesn't exist. They were made because people wanted something "fancier" than the 1-piece buttons, and the first attempt at making "ornate" 2-piece buttons was to crimp a fancy thin stamped-brass front onto an ordinary flatbutton. A famous example of the 2-piece type of flatbutton is SC-3 in the Albert button-book, a South Carolina State Seal button, which has the 1827-40 "JML & WH Scovill" backmark. Albert says specifically that it is a "2-piece flat" button.

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A famous example of the 2-piece type of flatbutton is SC-3 in the Albert button-book, a South Carolina State Seal button, which has the 1827-40 "JML & WH Scovill" backmark. Albert says specifically that it is a "2-piece flat" button.

Hey, I resemble that remark! IE my Avatar.

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a backside pic of the button CannonBallGuy referred to. Note the defining line near the rim where you can clearly see the seperation point of the two pieces. Asc3..JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread