Horstmann & Allien South Carolina Buttons C.W. Period?

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I collect all types of buttons, and I purchased a box lot of sewing buttons online. In a small box were 11 South Carolina buttons in pretty nice condition. They seemed a different and better quality and condition than most of the military and pseudo-military type buttons I find and they just jumped out as possibly something special. I'm wondering if these are actually Civil War era buttons? They are 2 piece buttons, with a nice weight. Marked Horstmann & Allien •N•Y• on the back. I would appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks!

IMG_1155.jpg IMG_1134.jpg IMG_1133.jpg IMG_1141.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SC76

Jul 30, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I collect all types of buttons, and I purchased a box lot of sewing buttons online. In a small box were 11 South Carolina buttons in pretty nice condition. They seemed a different and better quality and condition than most of the military and pseudo-military type buttons I find and they just jumped out as possibly something special. I'm wondering if these are actually Civil War era buttons? They are 2 piece buttons, with a nice weight. Marked Horstmann & Allien •N•Y• on the back. I would appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks!

View attachment 1636000 View attachment 1636001 View attachment 1636002 View attachment 1636003

I attended the Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina. These are the same buttons we wore on our Military Dress Uniforms. Hope this helps

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box of buttons with a quick ID. Congrats on both.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tho I believe SC76 is correct , "More modern " IMO= Very nice buttons indeed.

I'd double check my Button Book 'when I relocate it '.

Or if you like Google Harry Ridgeway Archive on Civil War Button back-marks.
Sorry I don't have a link but that 'Google' search should send you in the right direction.

OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Yes, they are Citadel cadet buttons. Thanks SC76! I did manage to find them on Harry's site. Thanks to Harry as well for his information, he also replied to a query and also said Citadel. They do appear to be old though. His site gives the back mark an approximate 1860's date.

So, not quite the find I thought... but still neat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread