goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Given the volcanic nature of that area I think it's only natural that there would be at least some diamonds there. I think I'll stick to gold though. I've had to learn so much to find it and to have to learn all the stuff for diamonds would cut into my gold prospecting time!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think , it would have to be very valuable diamonds to make it worth while to find the diamond . If their only value is for diamond blades and core drills they would not be worth the price of gold . The quality would have to be very high to make them worth more than the gold .

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
De Beers (not "Da Bears") has a large supposedly industrial diamond reserve south of Trinity County in Butte County at the old Gold mining site of Cherokee which by the way Thomas Edison was a stake holder in. A little closer, in Tehema County there was an old hermit cowboy who in the 50's if I remember the time frame correctly used to come into Red Bluff and pay for his goods with diamonds he was supposedly finding nearby. An old friend of mine who knew the old timer knew where the man had his camp and spent years looking for diamonds but never found any himself. If your familiar with the area the drainages are full of localized areas with huge Basalt chimneys. Basalt Chimneys are supposedly made under pressure the same as diamonds so I suppose it makes sense. A hint of where his camp was for those that may know a little bit of local history- He lived in an old horse trailer that once belonged to movie cowboy Tom Mix. The trailer was finally removed in the late 90's or early 2000's when they made the area into an official campground. Sadly the outhouse now sits exactly where the trailer sat.
Another related story to that same exact area, which is not a known gold producer, was a supposed lost exposed gold vein found by a man from Vina who was making his way to Reno or Susanville. He found the vein and planted his axe in a tree to mark it then continued on his journey. He was never able to relocate it and no one has ever claimed to find any gold there.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State bulletin #191 Minerals production report and Gems and minerals of Shasta County, another state publication, has more info on older finds also IF memory serves me right this am. Needless to say very rare. Known folks who found stuff but when tested by gemologist just not hard enough to be a real diamond. Like always you hear stories but never done analysis to ascertain proof as above story clearly states. Bummer would have liked to seen them. John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought maybe you might have dredged some up during you travels

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted this because, not all we find have great monetary value, but have sentimental value of finding uncommon items, not easily acquired.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ADDICTION for sure. My best find was a piece of 8(mid 1800s) with a hole drilled through it and even found pieces of the broken chain it was lost from. In a creek here in Shasta county, love strange "put backs" where the miners stashed coins as pay back for their righteous paystreaks. Vertical walls, cracks stuffed wow amazing sight 20+' down-John

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too bad they are essentially worthless. I'd rather find some tourmaline or garnet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread