Hot Digs Part 2: Yields my SECOND Reale!

juno1114

Jun 20, 2014
Bellport, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So on April 21st I posted a thread here about a "Hot Dig" that I had just received permission on, an 1801 farmhouse with a huge amount of property. After thanking the owner with a nice card and a bottle of wine, he said the words that every digger loves to hear: "Come back whenever you want, whether I'm home or not!"

The other day I walked around the property to get my bearings (because let's face it, when I thought it was a "one shot" deal" I hit all the high points as fast as I could, not knowing when or if I'd be invited back!). I've decided that the best method for gleaning goodies would be to section off 10 x 10 areas and swing low and slow, digging everything above a "45" with a halfway decent tone...

Here are the results:

Group.jpg

I was glad I made that mental note about digging even questionable signals, because one of the last targets I hit had a sweet tone on one end, and then the typical rust squeal on the other... Turned out to be a 1739 ONE REALE being partially masked by an old square nail:

1 reale front.jpg 1 reale back.jpg

Now I know she's super worn, but she is what she is: My OLDEST coin, my OLDEST silver, and best yet, FINALLY puts me in the "Colonial Silver" club!

I gridded out the second section yesterday. Will post pics under "Hot Digs Part (etc) so you can all follow along if you'd like!

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Upvote 11

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that brings me back to when I dug my first piece of Spanish silver almost 20 years ago. What a rush that was, and I know you're thrilled to death with that great find too. Hope this is just the tip of the iceberg for you.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome spanish!, I found a 1/2 reale on a fluke, 1794, but man yours is beautiful! !

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lucked out on meeting a friendly land owner . I would treat him to a beverage of his choice .
Any chance for a closeup shot of the 1817 lg cent 8-)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your large and for your first Spanish silver! May it be the first of many for you. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread