Hot head and Cross fire coils

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Crossfire coils belong to Garrett detectors and the Hotheads belong to Tesoro's. The coils are not inter changable between the two manufactures even if the pins match up.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, they made hot head coils for Garrett, White's and even the old Teknetics. They were aftermarket coils and I don't know a lot about them. I know I bought an 8800 at the flea market and it had a large Hot Head coil as well as the stock.

dirtdiver

Oct 30, 2007
I purchased a Hot Head coil years ago from a well known dealer, for my CXIII.
And even though it fit my detector it would not work. Had to send it back.
I would suggest you stick with a coil from the manufacture.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
Actually, they made hot head coils for Garrett, White's and even the old Teknetics. They were aftermarket coils and I don't know a lot about them. I know I bought an 8800 at the flea market and it had a large Hot Head coil as well as the stock.

Thanks, you are correct. I forgot about after market coils.

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought the same seeing all these other merchants with coils. I will just have to stick with the company I know. This way if I have issues i can send it back to them. better to be safe then sorry. Who knows what a after market coil would do to your machine.

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x
Hi i will take a stab at this. I have a Garrett MH CX3 as well as the MH7x and the MH 5' all with crossfire coils. I have the hot head coil that fits the same as the crossfire units. Here is what i have found with the Hothead coil. I can put the HH Coil on the CXIII and it will only work on the all metal mode. I am not sure why but that's what it dose. On the other hand if you put it on the 7x or the 5 it works very well in fact it is my choice over the the 8.5 or the 12.5 coil that came with my Garrett's. It is far better than the 8.5 in depth and pinpoint's just as well. As far as the 12.5 thy are about the same on depth but the HH coil is lighter to swing and has a tighter pinpoint on it. I like my hothead coil at least for the 7x and the 5. This is what i have found with my detector's. Hope this helps ------Plug popper ;D

General Hekimer

Oct 22, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, My friend recieved the hot head coil as an extra from Kellyco. The first one wouldn't detect anything over a couple of inches, after returning, the second one was worse than the first! Basically they a re junk, I wouldn't spend a dime on one, stick with the factory coils. We did notice if it was about eighty degrees or hotter outside it would almost work correctly, we laughed about this and figured thats why they were named hot heads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread