hot shot coild for xlt?

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I see white's has the new super 12 for the dfx etc. Only thing is, its not compatible with the xlt. I've been using an xlt for years with the stock coil and run custom programs. I understand that target seperation, trash, soil conditions etc impact detection depth. Has anyone ever tried the jimmy sierra hot shot 12 inch coild on the xlt? Whats your opinion on the coil? Would I gain any USABLE depth hunting for coins? I have used larger coils before and they seem to lose sensitivity to smaller objects. Thanks.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Are you mostly searching for single coins??

Where you are searching for single coins, is there trash items ?? ( bottle caps, pulltabs, etc.)

If you are searching for deep (as in over 10 inches deep)larger dollar sized coins, "pocket drops", or cans full of coins, I say get the White's 15 inch Maxima, or the 12 inch Hotshot ( much lighter than the 15 incher).Also, If you do lots of searching in a open fields,or beaches with very little trash the Hotshot would be a better choice, than the 15 inch coil.

But if you are just going looking for single coins, the stock 9.5 coil is great, and has better trash separation on single coins near the trash.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot Shot doesn't lose sensitivity to small coins. The Whites 15" does lose sensitivity in spades so only suitable for larger targets.
The Whites is way heavy as Dimeman mentions while the Hot Shot if you shorten the shaft a notch doesn't feel any heavier than the stock coil. The coil cover is quite heavy itself. I used a circle of that corrugated plastic material used for 'For Sale' signs. Cheaper and lighter.
If you buy the Hot Shot second hand check its number as there was problems with the first 112 or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread